cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did my score go down?!!!

tag
ccfaith12

Why did my score go down?!!!

I had a credit score of 633. In an effort to get to a 640 to obtain an FHA, I paid off 2 collections on my report. One of those collections was immediately taken on the report, so they said "as a courtesy", the other has stayed on but I received a letter from them in writing that the account is now "closed". So why did my score go down 10 points?!!! I am trying SO HARD to repair my score but I'm about to give up at this point and keep renting which is something that I don't want to do forever. Could anyone please help and tell me why this happened? And what can I do to raise this score to a 640 as quickly as possible?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: Why did my score go down?!!!

What does the rest of your credit file look like? It's really hard to say without knowing the larger picture.

Message 2 of 8
ccfaith12

I have a few other collections on there but they are medical bills. The report says that they are supposed to be taken off in a few months because they are so old. Also, a lender that I was working with said she didn't see anything that stood out and that she just thought I needed more time. But this was said before I paid off the two collections. I also have some student loans on there but none of those are in default.

Message 3 of 8
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Do you have any open revolving accounts? If so, what does your utilization look like? Has that changed since your last report?

Message 4 of 8
ccfaith12

I have a car payment paid on time every month. I also have 3 CC's that were paid off before the FICO score was checked again. All of them have a 0 balance.

Message 5 of 8
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

It's not impossible that the payment could have been part of the drop, but I'm also inclined to think that if all your credit card balances were at zero that might be a factor too. For optimum scoring, you'll want to have a small balance on one. So two cards that report at zero, and one that reports with less than 9%. For whatever reason, there's a score ding when all cards are at zero. Even $10 is better than zero.

Don't lose hope. This could be a fixable drop.

Message 6 of 8
robbyg

I know this is old, but I'm not sure if anyone answered your question. Your score most likely dropped after you paid off the collection that continued to report. It shows on your credit report as new activity on a collection account. Even if it's good that you finally paid it off, sometimes it's better to not wake the beast, so to speak. Getting them deleted is the only way to go, otherwise it's best to leave them alone until right before you close (if that's a condition of your lender) and then your score won't update until after you've already closed. 

Message 7 of 8
sarahcatherinemay
Regular Contributor

@robbyg wrote:

I know this is old, but I'm not sure if anyone answered your question. Your score most likely dropped after you paid off the collection that continued to report. It shows on your credit report as new activity on a collection account. Even if it's good that you finally paid it off, sometimes it's better to not wake the beast, so to speak. Getting them deleted is the only way to go, otherwise it's best to leave them alone until right before you close (if that's a condition of your lender) and then your score won't update until after you've already closed. 

Yep. Exactly what it was. 

Starting Score: 525
Current Score: EQ Fico 766 | TU Fico 715 | EX Fico 753
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.