cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why didn't my score go up after 2 years?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why didn't my score go up after 2 years?

I'm relatively new to the US and I've been building my credit since I got here. A few months ago it was explained to me by several people in this forum that I could expect a score boost when my credit history reached the 2 year mark. Well, that happened last month and my score didn't go up by a single point.

Is it really true that 2 years is a significant milestone for credit history? If it is, are there any obvious reasons why my score didn't go up? The only recent notable event in my history was paying off a card a few months ago, at which time I saw a 25-point increase. Since then, and over the 2-year anniversary, it remained flat.

Any advice is much appreciated,
Barry
P.S. I use Credit Karma to monitor my score
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Why didn't my score go up after 2 years?

Well, using Credit Karma is probably why.

You can get free EX score through Discover Scorecard, it's free. You could also sign up for EX trial, grab your scores and cancel.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

As Remedios mentioned, there are many ways to get your Experian FICO 8 score.

One way is through creditscore.com -- which will get you a FICO 8 and a full report each month.  All at no charge.

Another is through the Discover Scorecard.  You do not need to have any accounts with Discover to get this.

A solution that does cost $1 is the trial offer at Credit Check Total, which Remedios also alluded to:

https://www.creditchecktotal.com/

That will get you a 3-bureau report and all three FICO 8 scores.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

P.S. I use Credit Karma to monitor my score

The first piece of advice would be to never look at those CK scores again and only deal with FICO scores since they are the meaningful ones.

As for your credit history, it's important to determine your age of accounts factors.  This would be your age of youngest account (AoYA), age of oldest account (AoOA) and average age of accounts (AAoA).  If you could list out the age of those 3 factors it would be helpful to us.  You want to list them in months and on the 1st of the month is when they all increase by 1 month.  You said you just hit 2 years, so does that mean that on the 1st of February about 2 weeks ago you reached 24 months AoOA?  It's important that we clarify these things.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. Yes I meant my AAoA reached 24 months. My oldest account (credit card) is 4 years, 9 months and my youngest account (auto loan) is 1 year, 2 months.
Message 5 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Yes I meant my AAoA reached 24 months. My oldest account (credit card) is 4 years, 9 months and my youngest account (auto loan) is 1 year, 2 months.

I'm guessing, based upon what you're saying, that your FICO scores have indeed been going up. Your problem is that you don't know what your FICO scores are.

CK scores -- which are Vantage 3.0 scores -- are meaningless.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 7
xaximus
Valued Contributor

If you're getting your AAoA and other history from CK, I wouldn't count on it - they don't factor in certain accounts (closed, I believe).

I would get the discover free scorecard, experian is free as well with the basic membership.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.