cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why didn't my score go up after I disputed a medical bill with Experian and they deleted it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why didn't my score go up after I disputed a medical bill with Experian and they deleted it?

Do the credit bureaus update the score instantaneously or monthly?  I've disputed 2 items in collections and won so they have been deleted but my score hasn't really gone up much?  Do I need to call them and ask them to run their algoritm again to recalculate ?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why didn't my score go up after I disputed a medical bill with Experian and they deleted it?

Do you have any other collections still on your Experian report? You won't see much movement until the final collection has been removed.

Message 2 of 8
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Re: Why didn't my score go up after I disputed a medical bill with Experian and they deleted it?

Scores are updated when a creditor reports a change to the bureau.  It could be daily or monthly depending on when they report.  Not all CMS update on the date the new information is reported but sometime shortly after. 

I don't know if this is your case but from what I've gathered in this forum, when one has multiply derogs and/or other major derogs, removing 1 or 2 and not all or reducing to a single non major derog may not result in a significant score change or score change at all.  Others can chime in with data points.

But it can only help to remove those collections and you're probably on your way to a score increase in the future (if all things remain the same).  Regardless of all the things we learn to improve our scores, sometimes only time can help.

Hang in there, it should get better.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Trudy! As per your first paragraph, I had disputed it not with the creditor but Experien directly and Experien found the charge to be incorrect so they had send me a electronic message saying the item had been deleted. Since it was adjudicated directly with the credit bureau I would have thought experien would know to rescore me right away so I was disappointed when my score didn't really go up. Any suggestions of what else I can do? Can I call experien and tell me to look at rerunning my account now that I have no collection accounts on it? Lol
Message 4 of 8
Trudy
Valued Contributor

If the collections that were removed per EX are your only derogs I would expect you to see a score gain.  Others have a better idea of how much that may warrant.  But if EX determined there was an error than they are the CB that removed it and should update immediately.  It should show up on other CMS soon.  If you have an EX subscription it should show up the next day I believe.  There are free tools to get your EX FICO 8 score such as creditscorecard.com and creditscore.com.  If you are already signed up with these free tools than you wont see the change until the next free monthly report provided by them.  If you are not, you can sign up now and see where you stand as of today or tomorrow, depending on when you were informed by EX of the removal.

I've not disputed items that were subsequently removed so I can't say for sure, but due to the fact EX seems to have acknowledged there was an error and informed you it has already been removed, then this should be reflected when you pull your EX report through any of the means noted above.  Again, not sure if it could be seen on the same day you were informed so I'd suggest waiting until the next.  Also you can sign up for a $1 seven day trial through EX and as long as you cancel before that expires, you will only be charged $1 plus tax.   I'll need someone else to chime in regarding that site but I know it's through EX and will provide your EQ and TU FICO 8 scores as well. total credit tool something I think. You can search for it on this site.  If this is an event that makes you willing to spend more then you can pull a 1 time only MyFICO report for 1 or all 3 CB.  Another option is if you don't have an EX subscription and choose to sign up you can get other EX scores in addition to your FICO 8 score (MTG, bankcard 8, auto 8 and some older bankcard and auto scores.  You may find that this update impacts other scores more or less than your FICO 8 score.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What Trudy was talking about is www.creditchecktotal.com - get your scores and cancel so it only costs you a buck. Check weekly if you like.

What movement exactly did you see in your scores? It’s very possible that only a mild improvement occurs, even when going to a completely clean report. For one thing, you may have moved to a new scorecard (I think this is pretty likely actually since you cleared more than one derog), and that can actually give you a hit to your score. Also, if your utilization is very high it’ll suppress your scores. There are other factors I’m sure which could come into play and negate some of the gain you were expecting.
Message 6 of 8
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

@fitlife,

I just posted a similar question to yours a few days ago. Mine was with transunion and they, not the OC, deleted a trade line and I got no score change; good or bad. Others provided similar feedback to me as what has been listed in this thread.

However, I wonder if the issue is the fact tht the CRedit Bureau did a ‘manual’ update and it wasn’t pushed thru systemically by the Creditor so the score doesn’t update in the same manner. 🤷🏼‍♀️

By the way, I didn’t know you could ask a CB to re-run their algorithm to calculate your score.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never heard of asking a CB to re-run an algorithm; I don't think that's an option.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.