cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does experian keep inquiries on credit report for 25 months?

tag
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Why does experian keep inquiries on credit report for 25 months?

I have always been under the impression that hard inquiries stay on credit reports for 2 years. Equifax and transunion always remove them after 2 years (24 months) but when I go into the experian mobile app and see my inquiries it always lists the future removal date as exactly 25 months longer. Anyone know why experian holds onto the inquiries a month longer than the other 2?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Why does experian keep inquiries on credit report for 25 months?

@rgd51 wrote:

I have always been under the impression that hard inquiries stay on credit reports for 2 years. Equifax and transunion always remove them after 2 years (24 months) but when I go into the experian mobile app and see my inquiries it always lists the future removal date as exactly 25 months longer. Anyone know why experian holds onto the inquiries a month longer than the other 2?

I believe I have read that EX removes inq's on the first Saturday following the month 24s.   No idea why.   But it's not a full month but maybe up to six days depending on when Saturday falls.

Message 2 of 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Can call and dispute them if so inclined the day they are suppose to fall off and they will remove them for you or just waiting i believe the first wekened of the next month as mentioned is when they usually get purged

Message 3 of 6
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@rgd51 wrote:

I believe I have read that EX removes inq's on the first Saturday following the month 24s.   No idea why.   But it's not a full month but maybe up to six days depending on when Saturday falls.

For example I had an inquiry on 7/27/2020 but it lists the removal date as 8/27/2022. It is like that for all 5 other inquiries I currently have on my experian report and the ones recently removed they waited the full 25 months on each of them. 

Message 4 of 6
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@rgd51 wrote:

For example I had an inquiry on 7/27/2020 but it lists the removal date as 8/27/2022. It is like that for all 5 other inquiries I currently have on my experian report and the ones recently removed they waited the full 25 months on each of them. 

Experion only processes expiring inquiries in a single batch once per month.  The 8/27/22 number is bogus and that inquiry should be done on August 7th.

For some unknown and IMO probably stupid reason they always list the removal date as being exactly 25 months after the inquiry is made.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 6
coltspacers

They do not count against you after 12 months so I wouldn't worry about it.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.