cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my Credit Scoring going down in the Wells Fargo App, even though I’m Utilizing Less?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is my Credit Scoring going down in the Wells Fargo App, even though I’m Utilizing Less?

Hi everyone. It was a rock hard journey but in 2013 I had fixed/established my credit, and have been working very hard for years to maintain an excellent score.

This May I applied and was approved 5k for the cash wise cc. When i received the card I saw a score of 770 (which I thought was odd, my score was near 800).

In August I decided to use their Fico score app and upon checking, it dropped to 757. Then I checked this month and it’s 738.

I have no debt and I’ve paid off all my cc in full except the cash wise (which I keep around $1000-$1500 balance).

I have no applied for any loans, mortgages, or cc since May, and I’m wondering what I’m doing wrong. Here’s my current credit scenario:

My cards:
Chase Freedom ($4,400 limit). 2013
Chase Sapphire Preffered ($6,700 limit ) 2017
Chase Ink Cash ($6000 limit) 2016
Chase AARP (was $500, chase asked me for my income two weeks ago and now I got a auto CLI of $2000) 2017

AMEX Simply Cash ($5000 limit) 2016
Wells Fargo Cash Wise ($5,000 limit) 2018

I’m also an authorized user for two department store cards:

Lowes ($10k) have been on for over 5 years
Walmart ($9k) just added two weeks ago

Sears ($5.3k) have been on for over 5 years

The balance of all my cards excluding the cash wise is around $300 right now, and my cash wise balance is around $1500.

Maybe I should pay the cash wise in full? I did charge two Iphone xs maxes last month that both guy the brought the balance to around $3400 but I paid those two off.

I did a annual credit report also when I first got my card this year because the rep told me the wrong due date setting up my card (which I went frantic over) which resulted in a late payment but they ended up waiving the late fee and said since its only 2 days behind, it didn’t go on my report. I would’ve paid it sooner, but was a pain setting up the app and resetting my password.

I did not see anything out of the ordinary except good paying history on all my cards. So I’m wondering what’s happening, or do I need to use a different credit monitoring platform?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shine some light.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Kree
Established Contributor

Re: Why is my Credit Scoring going down in the Wells Fargo App, even though I’m Utilizing Less?

Different models, and different bureaus will give different scores. So 800 to 770 appears to be a valid range.

770-750 from an inquiry seems a bit much but I could see that happening.

750-730 from a new account reporting seems about right too with your file thickness.

Any installment changes? did you recently pay off a car?  Going from 1 loan to 0 loans,  could cause a 20-50 point drop I think.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why is my Credit Scoring going down in the Wells Fargo App, even though I’m Utilizing Less?

No loans. I paid my vehicle off years ago. The last time I did anything with my credit was in May where I checked the annual credit report once a year and applied for the cashwise in May. In December 2017, I got the AARP card, so I’ve been spacing between my inquires.

Also in July my simply cash inquiry was scheduled to be removed off my report since it would have been 24 months.

My only explanation is something with Wells Fargo. I’ve been charging on the card, but I’ve been paying it off too and even though I’ve charged a decent amount it hasn’t been 20% or 2700 around all my credit limits.

Message 3 of 12
DollyLama
Established Contributor

How old is the Walmart card that you were recently added as authorized user?  If it is younger than your oldest card, it will have dropped your average age of accounts. 

With your oldest account being the same age as the oldest AU account, no real scoring benefit unless it is solely to reduce your utilization, otherwise IMO, I would remove myself from being an AU. 

Do you also know if both, or one of the AU accounts are reporting a balance?

Your utilization back in May is unknown at this time, and even though you are not in "danger" zone threshold, your utilization could have been under the threshold of 28.9 on an individual card then vs. tad over that threshold on the Cash Wise now, and possibly less cards reporting a balance. 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I managed to do some digging, and found my experian and equifax reports. I typed the post and reply on my phone, so there are some typos I corrected (I have a CSP, not a CSR, and a lowes card, not home depot). Also, I was added as a AU for a sears card as well with 5.3k line ages ago.

The walmart card was opened in march of last year with a $900 limit, then 6 months later it jumped to $1500, then it went to $4000, now its $9000. I was added about 2 weeks ago to it.

Here is what the reports showed in May when I checked them:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

and this:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Message 5 of 12
DollyLama
Established Contributor

IMO, you went from 4 cards, of which 3 reported a balance (ideal is to let one and only 1 report a balance each month), to 9 cards (no idea how many are reporting balances).  The 17 inquiries to how many now?  Your average age of accounts has surely dropped. 

Lowes is your oldest and your an AU, I would remove myself on the other AU accounts, simply not needed, and impacting your average age of accounts. Do not app for any more cards and let your youngest account age a year, and the inquiries age off from a FICO 8 perspective, where they are no longer scoreable. 

The only thing I see that is needed is an installment loan (bank not consumer finance company), you might not need an auto, but there is a thread on the forums about the self lender loans, Alliant used to do it with a soft pull which did not ding your score, but in a nutshell the idea is getting the credit mix which could be 30+ points. You borrow an amount around $500 on a 5 year term, but with an institution that will accept a large payment and forward your due date 4 years into the future. You pay the loan down after obtaining it to less than 8.9% with a due date around 2022. 

FICO does not care if your credit lines are $5k or $500k, someone with 3 cards, 1 loan and long history can achieve a perfect score if managed well. 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DollyLama wrote:

How old is the Walmart card that you were recently added as authorized user?  If it is younger than your oldest card, it will have dropped your average age of accounts. 

With your oldest account being the same age as the oldest AU account, no real scoring benefit unless it is solely to reduce your utilization, otherwise IMO, I would remove myself from being an AU. 

Your utilization back in May is unknown at this time, and even though you are not in "danger" zone threshold, your utilization could have been under the threshold of 28.9 on an individual card then vs. tad over that threshold on the Cash Wise now, and possibly less cards reporting a balance. 

So you're saying that more than 1 AU account doesn't help? Let's assume someone has an AAoA of just over a year and oldest account is 6 years 4 months. Say that is an AU and next oldest is their own card that is 3 years 8 months. They go on an app spree(6 cards) which brings their age down to 15 months. Total of 8 account is 120 months. If they get added as an AU of a card that is also 3 years 6 months, then wouldn't they be an average age of 18 months? Which really isn't a big deal other than hitting AAoA 3 months earlier. Or do you only get the benefit if the cards are older then your oldest? Or only benefit from 1 AU account?

Also in your post just above you state getting a loan that can be paid down and let sit at that balance for 4-5 years I believe. You only get that benefit as long as you don't have any other open loans, correct? If you do this and then get an auto loan in year 2, then the only benefit from that point on would be keeping it on your history for a longer period as your auto loan would most likely be above that threshold for the remainder of time that loan is open or am I wrong on that?

Message 7 of 12
DollyLama
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DollyLama wrote:

So you're saying that more than 1 AU account doesn't help? Let's assume someone has an AAoA of just over a year and oldest account is 6 years 4 months. Say that is an AU and next oldest is their own card that is 3 years 8 months. They go on an app spree(6 cards) which brings their age down to 15 months. Total of 8 account is 120 months. If they get added as an AU of a card that is also 3 years 6 months, then wouldn't they be an average age of 18 months? Which really isn't a big deal other than hitting AAoA 3 months earlier. Or do you only get the benefit if the cards are older then your oldest? Or only benefit from 1 AU account?

Also in your post just above you state getting a loan that can be paid down and let sit at that balance for 4-5 years I believe. You only get that benefit as long as you don't have any other open loans, correct? If you do this and then get an auto loan in year 2, then the only benefit from that point on would be keeping it on your history for a longer period as your auto loan would most likely be above that threshold for the remainder of time that loan is open or am I wrong on that?

" Let's assume someone has an AAoA of just over a year and oldest account is 6 years 4 months. Say that is an AU and next oldest is their own card that is 3 years 8 months. They go on an app spree(6 cards) which brings their age down to 15 months. Total of 8 account is 120 months."

You can not have an oldest of 6 years 4 months, add cards and go higher to 10 years( 120 months). It is not a cumlative age of the cards. It's as if you have 3 children, ages 6, 4 and 1 year, the average age is 3.7 rounded up, not 11 years.  You take the number of open accounts and divide by the cumlative age then to get the average age. 

Most here, add an AU for purposes of helping another with starting credit (you have already established a good bank relationship with Chase, AMEX and WF. Or they add to reduce utilization (you already have excellent utilization without them). Or just a longer credit history, I'd keep the Lowes since it's your oldest, however there may be a time that underwriting, for mortgage might be needed and they require you to remove yourself, to reflect your personal credit. The Sears is most likely going to close with the impending BK they are filing, the Walmart is really too young and did affect your AAoA, along with any app spree in last 12 months in particular. 

The loan if add will boost your score for the credit mix, but the optimal for score is less than 8.9% reason many only borrow around $500 to $1000 and turn around and pay it down $440 or $860 dollars. If an auto loan is obtain in future, then you can pay off this small loan as the new loan will take its place for credit mix, but you may be dinged a smidge as most people do not instantly nor can afford to pay it down to less than 8.9%, but I would wait till after the car loan goes through not before, for the best optimal "score" at that time when applying. 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess it wasn't as obvious as it was in my head. When I said 120 months that was the total months on the 8 accounts. So 120 months/ 8 accounts= 15 months. Which is what I was using as the base of my example. 

But what I was asking is in a previous post you had said to only use the AU accounts if they were older than OPs oldest account. So if someone were to add multiple AU accounts would it benefit them with more than one. In all actuallity, for average purposes, the AU accounts would only need to be older than than the average of all current accounts. Just wondering if the benefit is there from more than one account or if one is all you'll benefit from?

Message 9 of 12
DollyLama
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess it wasn't as obvious as it was in my head. When I said 120 months that was the total months on the 8 accounts. So 120 months/ 8 accounts= 15 months. Which is what I was using as the base of my example. 

But what I was asking is in a previous post you had said to only use the AU accounts if they were older than OPs oldest account. So if someone were to add multiple AU accounts would it benefit them with more than one. In all actuallity, for average purposes, the AU accounts would only need to be older than than the average of all current accounts. Just wondering if the benefit is there from more than one account or if one is all you'll benefit from?

My posts pertain to just the OPs particular file- only the Lowe's appears to have a benefit of age, it does not reduce utilization crossing any thresholds that the OP has already acquired. Every file is different. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.