Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why paying off your loan is bad for your credit

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Why paying off your loan is bad for your credit

@Anonymous wrote:

While your credit Score may take a hit your credit may or may not. Simply not having a payment may decrease DTI to the point where you could take on more debt. A nominal decrease in score may or may not move you into a different rate bucket. Either the higher score or the increase in cash flow could help or the opposite could hurt. For automatic decisions the score itself may be more important. On something that is being manually reviewed the lack of a debt may be more valuable. Especially in light of the fact that they can see you just paid said loan off. 

I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that DTI has nothing to do with one's credit. It is not mentioned in, nor does it affect in any way, your credit report.

Message 31 of 49
slund5499
Established Contributor

Agree that DTI has nothing to do with your credit report. DTI will only affect the lender's decision on your risk level and in turn helps determine Cl.

At least that much is true.....

In the garden since 02/1/23. Newest Account AU Discover It 10K
02/23 Scores; EQ 608 TU 642 EX 575 CCU: 20%, Inq. 2, 1, 2 Collections $39K
Lending Club: newest account 2/3/23. Old Fico 1/17 EQ 530 TU 542 EX 512

Message 32 of 49
HiLine
Blogger

@slund5499 wrote:

Agree that DTI has nothing to do with your credit report. DTI will only affect the lender's decision on your risk level and in turn helps determine Cl.

The following is also true:

Your income does not affect your credit report.

Your assets do not affect your credit report.

Message 33 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HiLine wrote:

@slund5499 wrote:

The following is also true:

Your income does not affect your credit report.

Your assets do not affect your credit report.

You are absolutely correct it doesn't affect your credit report. But your original post says credit. It certainly affects your credit. Paying off a loan affects your score. It may or may not affect your credit. I can absolutely guarantee that a paid off loan is better for me applying for a product at my credit union where the score is meh important but what is in the file is significantly more important. The fact that I have paid off loans with them and have relatively large assets in the credit union do directly affect my ability to get credit with them. My score (they pull tu) does not show me as being able to qualify for their best car rates. But my assets and my paid off loans mean they have made that very attractive offer to me. Unfortunately I dont need a new car Smiley Sad The title of the post should read paying off your loan will negatively affect your score, not your credit. 
Especially since discover is not going to raise my rates when i pay off my personal loan. My credit isnt changed. My score is changed.

Message 34 of 49
HiLine
Blogger

"Credit" in this discussion means everything that is supposed to be recorded on your credit reports, and that's why credit reports are named as such. This is different from creditworthiness, which is your ability to handle new credit products and is determined by credit combined with a host of other financial factors. You must be confusing these terms. 

Credit is about past and present. Credit worthiness is about future.

Message 35 of 49
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@Roarmeister wrote:

You left off a very important word in your title - "Why paying off your loan is bad for your credit SCORE."

It is not bad for your credit.  You now have money available to pay off other debts or to save.  All those things in turn pay you dividends in you financial future.

So what if your score drops a few points by paying off a debt?  Are you defined by your score?  Are you worse off financially?  Emphatically - NO.

It is bad for your credit. Credit is a wholly different world from financial well-being. 

I differentiate between credit and credit score and fiancial well-being.  I reject your definition of Credit - credit is your current indebtness to any particular indiviudual or company.  How can paying off a loan be a negative to your indebtedness?  ANSWER, it is isn't.  Your other creditors will not look negatively on you for being responsible financially.  It MAY however be temporarily detrimental to your score and theoretically detrimental to you obtaining credit if you are on the bubble.  That's why I disagreed with you and continue to disagree.  But politely.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 36 of 49
HiLine
Blogger

@Roarmeister wrote:

I reject your definition of Credit - credit is your current indebtness to any particular indiviudual or company.  

Are you saying that if someone has just one credit card and no installment loan and never owes money on his credit card by always paying ahead; in other words, he never owes any money to any particular individual or company, then that person does not have any credit? 

Message 37 of 49
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@Roarmeister wrote:

I reject your definition of Credit - credit is your current indebtness to any particular indiviudual or company.  

Are you saying that if someone has just one credit card and no installment loan and never owes money on his credit card by always paying ahead; in other words, he never owes any money to any particular individual or company, then that person does not have any credit? 

In that case, paying ahead must mean paying for a purchase before that purchase is charged to the card!

Message 38 of 49
HiLine
Blogger

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@Roarmeister wrote:

In that case, paying ahead must mean paying for a purchase before that purchase is charged to the card!

Paying for some purchase, for sure Smiley Wink

Message 39 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently made it into the 700 club after a 14 month rebuild that started in the low 500's. My highest score was TU at 762. I was seeing increases with each new CC opened. Last month I refinanced my house and used some of the cash to pay off a Springleaf loan of $8K that I had paid perfectly for 13 months. Last week my score dropped 10 points when this reported closed. This week, the mortgage finally reported pid/closed and I lost another 24 points!

I imagine the new mortgage with Chase will show up in the next week or two, along with a new $4K installment loan from NFCU (Heat Pump died) and my new Chase Freedom card. I expect another rapid nose dive in points since these new accounts are going to kill my AAoA big time. All of this said, I have to get used to living back in the 600's for the next year or more I guess. I agree with the folks who think It seems counter intuitive that paying off debt has a negative effect on scores.

Well, quick update for me. Once all of this dust settled, I lost 75 points. Now sitting at 687. What the hell is right about that?  How can anyone say that the scoring system makes sense? I predict it will take at least a year to recover from this pertaining to my score, maybe more. To me, credit versus credit score is a ridiculous argument. We all know that many decisions regarding credit worthiness are made by computers based on score. Unserwriters can sometimes override this, sometimes not. You can get all of the warm fuzzy feelings you want knowing that your "credit" is good, but if your score isn't then what's the point? Why should anyone be penalized for paying off a high interest installment loan because they are tired of paying 25-30% interest and no longer have to do it based on their better score? Makes no sense to me. Furthermore, the fact that BOA and Chase both gave me new cards should be a plus and an indicator that I am not a bad risk any longer. This system seems counter-intuitive.

Message 40 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.