Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would my FICO score go up?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would my FICO score go up?

I received notifcation from Experian today that there had been a change to my credit profile. I logged in and saw that it jumped 14 points, but no derogatories had been removed nor had there been any new activity. What could be the cause of that? (Not complaining, just a bit suprised! Hah!)

5 REPLIES 5
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Re: Why would my FICO score go up?

That sounds like a side by side comparison job Smiley Wink  Which should be easy since it sounds like you have a subscription.  But I'd start by looking at the before and after reason codes/factors to see if they changed or at least the order.

I had a score decrease when nothing else seemingly changed to find out that an old closed account was removed.  For me it lowered my AAoA slightly but the likely culprit was that it changed the ratio of # of accounts reporting as it only affected my Fico 2 scores.  This lead to a new revelation figured out by Birdman7 that closed accounts are considered in that metric.  But I guess it could be the opposite for you if a closed account that was younger fell off and raised your AAoA to a known or unknown threshold.Smiley Indifferent

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 2 of 6
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I received notifcation from Experian today that there had been a change to my credit profile. I logged in and saw that it jumped 14 points, but no derogatories had been removed nor had there been any new activity. What could be the cause of that? (Not complaining, just a bit suprised! Hah!)

Perhaps you crossed an age threshold?  New account 24 months old? Late payment 25 month's old?  Not sure that those ages cause such a jump, or that these ages actually have any merit... but age changes, accounts being added/removed can effect score without showing an obvious reason. 

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did a new possibly lower balance report on a revolving account?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Did a new possibly lower balance report on a revolving account?

I just saw that they reported my first payment on my charge-off account. My $1900/1600 balance decreased by $130. Can I expect to see that kind of jump every month until paid off?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely not. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.