Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wild fluctuations in FICO?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wild fluctuations in FICO?

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum or not but...I went on a little app spree (stupid, I know, not the point) and Target pulled my score twice?! I've already called them to have them remove on of the inquiries but...one app said 513 & the other said 524(both were pulled from Equifax) . Another app on the same day (kohl's) reports my FICO (also from Equifax) as 559.

What the heck?!

Also, I app'd for a car in March/April 2010 (between 03/29 & 04/02) - they were all denied by the way. But in my Transunion & Experian reports they just show up as "approved reason" (or something) and don't lump as auto requests (they don't even say auto on them anywhere)

I am rebuilding my credit and feel hung up at every point. 

Thanks for listening/reading/responding

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Wild fluctuations in FICO?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum or not but...I went on a little app spree (stupid, I know, not the point) and Target pulled my score twice?! I've already called them to have them remove on of the inquiries but...one app said 513 & the other said 524(both were pulled from Equifax) . Another app on the same day (kohl's) reports my FICO (also from Equifax) as 559.

What the heck?!

Also, I app'd for a car in March/April 2010 (between 03/29 & 04/02) - they were all denied by the way. But in my Transunion & Experian reports they just show up as "approved reason" (or something) and don't lump as auto requests (they don't even say auto on them anywhere)

Sounds like these lenders are using their own in-house scoring and not FICO.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

What the heck?!

These days one cannot go by FICO's only . When I got my Lowes card, the score range was internal to GE. It began with 500 something and ended in the low 700's

And I thought GE pulled TU.

So to save a lot of money companies have started to have their own risk scores.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CS800 wrote:

These days one cannot go by FICO's only . When I got my Lowes card, the score range was internal to GE. It began with 500 something and ended in the low 700's

And I thought GE pulled TU.

So to save a lot of money companies have started to have their own risk scores.

So my question is: Why do their letters of denial say they got this information from such and such agency and present me with contact information for that agency?

Message 4 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So my question is: Why do their letters of denial say they got this information from such and such agency and present me with contact information for that agency?

My opinion is that they do pull a score (whiever one it may be). Then I think they evaluate this against their own internal risk score. I somehow think that they give you the score but they have to mention FICO score. FICO in itself has different versions depending on which one they pulled.

FICO is 300-850

Plus Score from EX is 330-830 

You also have Vantage, Transrisk etc

One thing to look at is the score range that;s given to you. Do you know the range?

Message 5 of 8
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

I guess i'm learning that the score does not seem anywhere near as important as teh content of reports. I've seen people in the 300/400s get approved for things that I don't in the fives....this whole credit process is crazy frustrating...sorry just a gripe

Message 6 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

@Chrisla2077 wrote:

I guess i'm learning that the score does not seem anywhere near as important as teh content of reports. I've seen people in the 300/400s get approved for things that I don't in the fives....this whole credit process is crazy frustrating...sorry just a gripe

So if someone FICOs are in the high 300's, you couldnt get approved for a credit card with a $50 CL and an AF of $100 Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

What the heck?!

A FICO credit score is generated from the information in a credit report at that instant.  If the information in the credit report changes, the FICO credit score may also change.  A FICO score is dynamic.  It changes depending on what is in the credit report.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion April 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.