Did you mean: 

Wildly Different Credit Scores

tag
Ms-Kato
Contributor

Re: Wildly Different Credit Scores

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

I welcome both of you to the forums. It can be very confusing because of the many places selling "credit scores" these days but you can only get true FICO scores at a few places.

With all due credit to member llecs for this:

"Virtually everyone sells scores, but they are not all FICO scores. If you got scores from the big 3, then very likely 2 or all 3 of them are not FICO scores. Experian and TransUnion do not sell FICO scores on their website. Equifax does sell FICO scores but it is very hidden and difficult to find. It's not on their products page. We call these non-FICO scores, FAKOs, and can easily be as much as a few points to 100+ points off your real FICO when pulled the same day. If it didn't say "FICO" next to the score, then it isn't.

Other companies (e.g. freecreditreport.com, freescore.com, truecredit, creditkarma, Equifax Credit Complete, Quizzle, and dozens of others out there) sell scores, but they are nothing more than gimmicks and lenders don't use them. They do this because they want to avoid paying any fees to FICO and when they say "credit score" people buy it anyway on the assumption that it is a FICO. The scores are off because the formula is different, factors in different things as compared to FICO, and score ranges are different than FICO's (e.g. FICO is 300-850, Vantage is 501-990, PLUS is 330-830, TransRisk is 350-850, and so on)."

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

So when we are planning for a big ticket purchase like a car of mortgage where should we look for a FICO score so that we know where we stand and don't get fooled or rejected.

I found out my EX score by applying for an AMEX  and Chase card (Declined) ..by law they have to tell you

your score regardless if you wer approved or not.

Now..not all CCC's pulled EX.

Discover pulled EQ and TU for my app.(Approved)

So if u really need the EX score apply for a card that will have a higher chance of pulling EX to

get your score..remember..you might get declined and lose a few points for the hard hit.

It was worth it for me to take the hit and get my EX score....Just wish I would have picked just AMEX or Chase and not both.

I got App Happy and Paid For It by Losing Points and Gaining Inquiries ! Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 14
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Bluerain wrote:

I found out my EX score by applying for an AMEX  and Chase card (Declined) ..by law they have to tell you

So if u really need the EX score apply for a card that will have a higher chance of pulling EX to

get your score..remember..you might get declined and lose a few points for the hard hit.

It was worth it for me to take the hit and get my EX score....Just wish I would have picked just AMEX or Chase and not both.

I got App Happy and Paid For It by Losing Points and Gaining Inquiries ! Smiley Sad

This is not exactly correct. New credit score disclosures began July 21st, 2011. Regulations require lenders to provide a credit score and related information when they deny a consumer's request for credit or provide credit with less favorable credit terms than other consumers with better credit histories.To help you understand these notices and how you can better manage your credit future go to ScoreInfo.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 12 of 14
beb86
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Bluerain wrote:

This is not exactly correct. New credit score disclosures began July 21st, 2011. Regulations require lenders to provide a credit score and related information when they deny a consumer's request for credit or provide credit with less favorable credit terms than other consumers with better credit histories.To help you understand these notices and how you can better manage your credit future go to ScoreInfo.

From a BK years ago to:

the have to provide you with A credit score but not a FICO score

Message 13 of 14
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@beb86 wrote:

the have to provide you with A credit score but not a FICO score

That's true but only if there is an outright denial of credit or the consumer receives credit with less favorable credit terms than other consumers with better credit histories.

ScoreInfo explains this in detail.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.