cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will adding my son to my credit cards as a authorized user effect my score?

tag
sweets2323
Established Member

Will adding my son to my credit cards as a authorized user effect my score?

My son has not credit score and I wanted to add him to my credit account as a user.

Once the card comes in the mail, the card will be destroyed. He will not use my card.

I am adding him to my account to assist him with getting his score up and running. 

My score is now about 780. 

Remember, he will not be using me card whats to ever. So I am not worried about him not making payments and increasing my balance.

Will my score drop because I add him as an authorized user?

I am in the process of buying a car.

Will my score or utilization or anything on my credit report be changed because I added someone to a few cards as an authorized user?

Auto Score 8 Equifax 725
Auto Score 9 Equifax 734 Transunion 717 Experian 718
Auto Loan 5, 4, 2 Equifax 744 Transunion 730 Experian 748
8 REPLIES 8
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Re: Will adding my son to my credit cards as a authorized user effect my score? I am trying to get a

Adding AU to your card would not effect your score.

Just FYI, is best to add him to a card that has been open for few years and reports very little balance.

You can also remove AU at anytime you wish.

Message 2 of 9
sweets2323
Established Member

Re: Will adding my son to my credit cards as a authorized user effect my score? I am trying to get a

Thank you 

I have zero balances on all my cards except my Barlcays,

Auto Score 8 Equifax 725
Message 3 of 9
donkort
Valued Contributor

As long as your son doesn't actually USE the cards......

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 4 of 9
sweets2323
Established Member

@donkort wrote:

As long as your son doesn't actually USE the cards......

LOL . You are correct. I am trashing it as soon as it comes in the mail.

Auto Score 8 Equifax 725
Message 5 of 9
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Fantastic idea. We did it with all our kids and they've never been under 750. Good job.

Message 6 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@sweets2323 wrote:

My son has not credit score and I wanted to add him to my credit account as a user.

Once the card comes in the mail, the card will be destroyed. He will not use my card.

I am adding him to my account to assist him with getting his score up and running. 

My score is now about 780. 

Remember, he will not be using me card whats to ever. So I am not worried about him not making payments and increasing my balance.

Will my score drop because I add him as an authorized user?

I am in the process of buying a car.

Will my score or utilization or anything on my credit report be changed because I added someone to a few cards as an authorized user?

No, it wouldn't affect your score.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@sweets2323- two threads have been merged and two duplicate ones have been removed. Please refrain from cross-posting in multiple forum areas and/or creating multiple, repetitive topics on the same subject as it creates confusion for the community and it is against the myFICO FOrums TOS. Thanks.

Message 8 of 9
PNWRambler
Frequent Contributor

Adding an AU will not affect your score in any way, good or bad. If it's an older card with a decent CL then it should give him a pretty good bump on his score as long as he remains an AU. And IMO it's a much better method than co-signing on a card with him. Adding your kids as AU and throwing away the card is a smart way to get them started.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.