cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will being an Authorized User help my credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will being an Authorized User help my credit score?

Wow, I've never seen anyone with such a high score consider being an AU. I thought the only time anyone would consider it would be when they want to build from a lower score.

As for being an AU for Discover, you get a card in your own name but with the same card # as the original cardholder. No, you don't get your own log in, free fico score, nor do your transactions remain separate from the original cardholder's.

Message 11 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, I've never seen anyone with such a high score consider being an AU. I thought the only time anyone would consider it would be when they want to build from a lower score.

As for being an AU for Discover, you get a card in your own name but with the same card # as the original cardholder. No, you don't get your own log in, free fico score, nor do your transactions remain separate from the original cardholder's.

Sounds like it hasn't changed, but the big question I think that's been raised is how does it report on the AU's file?  Is the full tradeline carried over which it traditionally has, or does it appear as a new account?

I think the situation happens more often than we think, AU's make sense for consolidating spending as they weren't really designed for improving credit but their implementation lead to that... just our opinions and views are seriously skewed on this forum heh.

        
Message 12 of 15
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

No one has piped up with anything to imply AU accounts are being reported the same as always.  It sounds like nothing has changed to me.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like it hasn't changed, but the big question I think that's been raised is how does it report on the AU's file?  Is the full tradeline carried over which it traditionally has, or does it appear as a new account?

I think the situation happens more often than we think, AU's make sense for consolidating spending as they weren't really designed for improving credit but their implementation lead to that... just our opinions and views are seriously skewed on this forum heh.

DH is in newly rebuilding mode with a thin file where he wasn't approved for Sam's Club or AMEX. I had him added last month, as an AU on 3 of my CCs. Both the Cap1 and Discover's full tradeline has been carried over to his CR on Experian, increasing his score by nearly 40 points. My AMEX still hasn't reported on his CR yet, probably because the statement doesn't cut for another 2 weeks.

Message 14 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

DH is in newly rebuilding mode with a thin file where he wasn't approved for Sam's Club or AMEX. I had him added last month, as an AU on 3 of my CCs. Both the Cap1 and Discover's full tradeline has been carried over to his CR on Experian, increasing his score by nearly 40 points. My AMEX still hasn't reported on his CR yet, probably because the statement doesn't cut for another 2 weeks.

Thanks!

Yeah CD I suspect nothing changed on a large scale, maybe some other lender has started Amex's ACM policies but the sky isn't falling.

        
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.