cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will canceling my Amex Green affect my credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will canceling my Amex Green affect my credit score?

810 Transunion, 808 Equifax

7 total accounts, 1% utlitization of $88k credit. 

My first 2 cards were Amex Green (2008) and Amex DL Plat (2008), and my avg age of credit history is 7 years 10 mos. 

I'm paying $95 for the Green and $195 for the DL Plat (oof) and want to cancel one of them. The DL Plat has a $33k limit (38% of my total), plus I fly a lot so I'm inclined to keep it. 

Will cancelling the Green impact my credit score? Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
CramEiko
Established Contributor

Re: Will canceling my Amex Green affect my credit score?

@Anonymous wrote:

810 Transunion, 808 Equifax

7 total accounts, 1% utlitization of $88k credit. 

My first 2 cards were Amex Green (2008) and Amex DL Plat (2008), and my avg age of credit history is 7 years 10 mos. 

I'm paying $95 for the Green and $195 for the DL Plat (oof) and want to cancel one of them. The DL Plat has a $33k limit (38% of my total), plus I fly a lot so I'm inclined to keep it. 

Will cancelling the Green impact my credit score? Thanks

There may be a little hiccup. If Green is a charge card it shouldn't be affecting your over all UT numbers. So I would think not. Just don't pay attention to CK afterwards. After closing and if everything was in current and good standings the Green should report as a positive for 10 years from your close date.

If not, maybe someone else has more information on this. 

Good Luck!

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will canceling my Amex Green affect my credit score?

No, closing the card will not impact your scores today.

10 years from now you'll lose that then 21 year old account from your CR, but as long as you don't close your other Amex card you'll still have that other 21 year old account.  I'm not sure if these are your oldest accounts or not, but that's not all too relevant.  You will experience an AAoA drop when you lose the one 21 year old account 10 years from now, but on a thick/aged file it's pretty much a non-factor.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.