cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my credit get dinged for paying off a mortgage?

tag
Fleuriste
Regular Contributor

Will my credit get dinged for paying off a mortgage?

I currently have 3 mortgages: Primary residence (jumbo), rental (small balance, due to be paid in full 5/18), and as a co-signer on my husband's vacation home.  I am in the process of refinancing the jumbo loan, and it would be helpful to not have the rental mortgage on my DTI ratio.  I am in a position to pay it in full, but am worried that my credit will take a hit. I'm working with my broker to try to time the pay off so it is a condition of the jumbo loan so it all happens at once. But assuming that can't be done, how much of a hit can I expect, it at any, if I pay off one mortgage with 2 others remaining?  My current B/D ratio is about 72%.  After I remove the rental mortgage, it will be 91%.

Starting FICO 8's (7/2016) EQ 715|| TU 743 || EX 762
Current FICO 8's (10/2022) EQ 838|| TU 828|| EX 826
Goal FICO 8's: 780 across the board - Goal met 9/2018;
Next Goal FICO 8's: 800 across the board - Goal met 10/2022
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will my credit get dinged for paying off a mortgage?

Small ~10 points or lower, and since you're talking mortgage 2/3 of the mortgage trifecta don't count installment utilization at all so I wouldn't worry about it.  If you need to clear DTI to qualify, pay, but if not, don't.

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.