cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my score drop a lot if my student loan is paid off next month?

tag
smile90000
New Contributor

Will my score drop a lot if my student loan is paid off next month?

Long story short. I have become permanently totally disabled and am now eligible to have my student loans forgiven as soon as I fill out the paperwork. 

The problem is I am in the process of looking for a house rental that better fits my physical needs and a car that will work with my disability. 

But I am very concerned about how low my score will drop once my student loan balance goes to zero and wondering if I should wait to complete the discharge forms.

- My student loan is currently my only installment loan

- The oldest credit card on my account is just shy of 30 years

- My scores are 790, 787, 806

If the likelihood that it will drop 10 or more points is high, I will just wait (sigh) until I've found housing and got my car, before doing the discharge.

Anyone have experience with how large of drop your score takes when your last installment loan goes to zero?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Will my score drop a lot if my student loan is paid off next month?

@smile90000 wrote:

Long story short. I have become permanently totally disabled and am now eligible to have my student loans forgiven as soon as I fill out the paperwork. 

The problem is I am in the process of looking for a house rental that better fits my physical needs and a car that will work with my disability. 

But I am very concerned about how low my score will drop once my student loan balance goes to zero and wondering if I should wait to complete the discharge forms.

If the likelihood that it will drop 10 or more points is high, I will just wait (sigh) until I've found housing and got my car, before doing the discharge.

Anyone have experience with how large of drop your score takes when your last installment loan goes to zero?

I don't have the kind of experience you're asking about, but just bear in mind that the big drops in scores due to payoff of installment loans come in the FICO 8's and 9's, not in the mortgage scores.  So it wouldn't have much effect on your mortgage rates.

Also, your scores are sufficiently high that a drop from paying off installment loans is not likely to ruin your auto loan rate either.

You are also going to pick up some points by having one less account with a balance.

But of course it's never unreasonable to simply avoid big changes in the runup to important credit applications.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 8
GZG
Valued Contributor

@smile90000 wrote:

looking for a house rental

are you trying to get a mortgage or pass a landlord's credit screening or get some other type of loan? 

I can't imagine the credit score negatives of getting the balances paid off (especially if they are particularly large) outweigh the positives of not owing those balances anymore, particularly when that funding is coming from total disability discharge. 

Who is running your credit for your house rental, ask them what they look for, is it a specific score/DTI metric? I highly doubt there are housing options you can get now that you won't be able to get once all of your loans are paid to $0

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 3 of 8
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@smile90000 wrote:

So, you are looking to rent a house and purchase a customized vehicle - correct? Paying off the student loan will reduce DTI ratio. The benefit of that should outweigh any drop in score when being evaluated for a house rental.

If your student is mostly paid off, you are getting a Fico 8 score boost from the low B/L ratio. That will be lost when the loan is paid off. You will also get a penalty for no open loans. Total Fico 8 point drop may be 10 to 20 points - IMO.

A classic Fico score of 760 or above can get you the best rates for loans. Not sure what version of Fico they would pull for your auto loan/lease. Rental properties do look at DTI so paying off the loan will be beneficial in rental screenings as well.

Your scores are high enough to warrant paying off the loan and reducing DTI before getting the vehicle or submitting rental applications.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 4 of 8
rosco75
Regular Contributor

When I did my TPD discharge I had 4 student loans on my report all go to zero. My score change? 3 points. 

I think you will be fine. My scores were all in the mid 600's though, so you *might* see a bigger decrease, but tbh my scores recovered so quickly I hardly even noticed and I doubt you will too. Your DTI will look way better and the overall benefits are going to far outwiegh any impact youre worrying about. There is a reason this is highly sought. 

Best of luck to you and your home / car search!

EDIT to add: I found a lot of good information in the student loans section of the forums. There are a lot of great posts there about student loan forgivness and TDP discharges. You might find better answers there. 

Message 5 of 8
smile90000
New Contributor

I am not buying at this time but looking to rent a home. So passing a landlords screening is important.

I think I am just worried because the last time I looked for an apartment my scores were in the 740s (a year ago) and think it hurt me. My scores are higher now (I've paid off most of my medical debt), but the housing market here is very competitive so I'm just trying to make myself look as good as possible as I will be dealign with private landlords (not apartments)

Message 6 of 8
MeredithLepore
New Contributor

Your score is more likely to benefit than not from having your student loans marked paid. If your score does drop, it's likely to be insignificant and temporary. And if it's weighing on you mentally, it's well worth it!

Message 7 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@smile90000 wrote:

I am not buying at this time but looking to rent a home. So passing a landlords screening is important.

I think I am just worried because the last time I looked for an apartment my scores were in the 740s (a year ago) and think it hurt me. My scores are higher now (I've paid off most of my medical debt), but the housing market here is very competitive so I'm just trying to make myself look as good as possible as I will be dealign with private landlords (not apartments)

I'm thinking that I agree with @Thomas_Thumb that the improvement in DTI which would be achieved by paying off the student loan will make you a better, not a worse, candidate.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.