cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my score go up from transitioning to unsecured Discover It?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will my score go up from transitioning to unsecured Discover It?

I received my 7th statement from Discover a few days ago and just found out this morning that I now have an unsecured card and that they raised my credit limit from $200 to $1800. I'm too impatient to wait a month to see -- is this likely to help my score at all? From what I know right now I have FICO 8 756 Experian, 740 TU, not sure about Equifax (is there somewhere free to get this one?). My Discover FICO scorecard says that after my first month I had 677 TU. I've consistently used about 4% of my credit per month except for one month when I used 30% and my score dropped 25 points. Learned from that mistake!

I'm a college student with no credit history other than this card, and I know that age of accounts and number of accounts also contributes. Is there anything else I can do to help my score? I realize it doesn't really matter too much since I'm not currently looking to apply for any loans, but I might go to grad school and am hoping I could take out a loan for that. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Will my score go up from transitioning to unsecured Discover It?

@Anonymous wrote:

I received my 7th statement from Discover a few days ago and just found out this morning that I now have an unsecured card and that they raised my credit limit from $200 to $1800. I'm too impatient to wait a month to see -- is this likely to help my score at all? From what I know right now I have FICO 8 756 Experian, 740 TU, not sure about Equifax (is there somewhere free to get this one?). My Discover FICO scorecard says that after my first month I had 677 TU. I've consistently used about 4% of my credit per month except for one month when I used 30% and my score dropped 25 points. Learned from that mistake!

I'm a college student with no credit history other than this card, and I know that age of accounts and number of accounts also contributes. Is there anything else I can do to help my score? I realize it doesn't really matter too much since I'm not currently looking to apply for any loans, but I might go to grad school and am hoping I could take out a loan for that. 

I don't think there will be any direct score improvement from it, since you've kept your utilization low already.

But congratulations! You're on the right track!

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whether a card is secured or unsecured has no impact on FICO scoring, so the conversion here would not change your score.  If a CLI results in your utilization crossing a threshold point, your score could change due to that... but the change is due to the utilization percentage change, not the actual CLI and having more additional credit.

Message 3 of 4
DIYcredit
Frequent Contributor

I totally agree with BBS/SJ  you two nipped it in the but.I nothing too add.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.