cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will these new accounts actually lower my credit score? WT@?

tag
Funk-O-Meter
Contributor

Will these new accounts actually lower my credit score? WT@?

I've been building and gardening my credit for the last year and a half or so and things are going pretty well. Although I haven't bought my FICO score yet I've got my reports and been watching my FACO's.

FACO's:

Credit Karma: 707

Credit Sesame: 703

Started with a Orchard card with a $500 almost two years ago and gardened it. Then 6 weeks or so ago I was approved for a Chase Freedom Rewards at $1000 CL and PayPal's "Bill Me Later" for $800ish CL (so far but it changes as you spend) and have been gardening these as well. Neither of the new accounts have reported yet. Only the hard pulls. So my current scores don't reflect the new accounts or utilization which was 67% for the only card I had at the time as far as the FACO's report. No other loans.  

Credit Karmas's "Credit Simulator" tellsme that when these accounts report my FAKO scores will drop into the 680's. **bleep**? It's going to lower my utilization big time and more then tripple my available credit and add 2 accounts that are paid as agreed for 60 days or so. 

Should I beleive Credit Karma? Is my score actually going to drop? Why?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Re: Will these new accounts actually lower my credit score? WT@?

When your AAoA decreases, you may see a drop - although I can't say how severe it will be... I know I'm braced for a big drop when my AAoA goes from 5 years to about 2.5 over the course of the year (lots of new accounts reporting and a handful of bad ones falling off).

The new cards should decrease your Utilization though which is a good thing and may offset some of the AAoA damage.  (I'm not sure if BML reports though, I didn't think it did.)

As for Credit Karma's simulator, all I can say there is that when I move the slider for "Have an on-time credit history" to anywhere between 3 and 24 months - it shows a score decrease... So I wouldn't take it very seriously lol

Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.