Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this HELP or HURT my FICO score??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will this HELP or HURT my FICO score??

Hello all!  I having been working very hard this past year to clean up my credit report and raise my FICO 5,4,and 2 scores so I can be in good standing to purchase a home by the end of this year. I have 1 derogatory account on my credit report from an unsecured loan through my credit union that was charged off in March 2017 for $1,338.00. I went through a divorce and was trying to get back on my feet and didn't have the extra $ at the time to make the payment. My question is, if I pay it off, even though it is closed and has been charged off for 4 years now, will it help my score, or will it hurt it since its been several years??

Thanks in advance, any advice is much appreciated!! 

FICO 8 - EQ 634 TU 652 EX 644

FICO 5 - 602  FICO 4 - 676 FICO 2 - 645

6 REPLIES 6
House2021
Established Contributor

Re: Will this HELP or HURT my FICO score??

When is the last time it updated? If it was recent then it won't hurt your score. I paid off a bunch of charge offs recently and their last update was between January-April of this year, it'll especially help your scores if it's causing you to have a high debt ratio. For example if you have $300O in open credit and you have that charge off then it's hurting it. 

Message 2 of 7
House2021
Established Contributor

Oh and all of mine were 5 year old charge offs

Message 3 of 7
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous Welcome to the forum . . . Perhaps you can seek a PFD (Pay For Delete) or a goodwill letter explaining the circumstances that resulted in the adverse reporting. Is the derogatory account listed with all 3 CRAs? Wishing you success on purchasing your home.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It last updated in June 2017 which was only 3 months after it was initially reported. I've heard of some circumstances where paying off a charge off ended up hurting more than it helped. TU and Ex are the only 2 it has been reported too. It has never showed up my EQ report. 

Message 5 of 7
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It last updated in June 2017 which was only 3 months after it was initially reported. I've heard of some circumstances where paying off a charge off ended up hurting more than it helped. TU and Ex are the only 2 it has been reported too. It has never showed up my EQ report. 

It will cause a drop in score since it hasn't updated in almost 4 years.

When you pay it off, the account will be updated one final time. The aging process will begin for the paid off negative.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It will cause a drop in score since it hasn't updated in almost 4 years.

When you pay it off, the account will be updated one final time. The aging process will begin for the paid off negative.

Unfortunately, @Mr_Mojo_Risin is correct in my opinion, I believe it will hurt more than it will help in the short term. Plus for a bonus while they are updating, it may end up on your third bureau. Pesky updates. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.