Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will zeroing out my cards hurt my score if I have a CLOC balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will zeroing out my cards hurt my score if I have a CLOC balance

Morning family, the title pretty much says it all. I paid all of my cards to $0 but I still have a LOC with a UTI of 60% - I know that's high for a LOC but it was a holiday "loan" that my CU now reports as a LOC - will the $0 balances crash my score? If so I have 2.5 weeks until all the statements cut and can swipe something real quick. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: Will zeroing out my cards hurt my score if I have a CLOC balance

From what I have read others post and understand from it, if the LOC reports as a revolving account, it should in theory be treated as such. Every post I have read on the topic, however, has advised against using a LOC for AZEO due to it being more unpredictable than a major bank card. If you have no important apps coming up, you could always experiment with your profile and see how letting all of your bank cards report in at 0 with the LOC at 60% affects your various scoring models. If you are worried about the potential temporary point loss penalty from doing so, get a swipe in on one of those cards before statement cut. If you do chose to experiment with it, come back when you're done and share all of your details with the group. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

From what I have read others post and understand from it, if the LOC reports as a revolving account, it should in theory be treated as such. Every post I have read on the topic, however, has advised against using a LOC for AZEO due to it being more unpredictable than a major bank card. If you have no important apps coming up, you could always experiment with your profile and see how letting all of your bank cards report in at 0 with the LOC at 60% affects your various scoring models. If you are worried about the potential temporary point loss penalty from doing so, get a swipe in on one of those cards before statement cut. If you do chose to experiment with it, come back when you're done and share all of your details with the group. 

Thanks I will consider both options and definitely report back.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous I think EQ is the only one that tracks bankcards separately from revolvers in terms of AWB. And if I recall, I think a member was kind enough to test and there was no AZ loss when the LOC still had a balance. let me ping who will definitely remember. @Slabenstein ? Assist please?

Message 4 of 11
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

You're remembering correctly, @Anonymous; I didn't see any point loss when my PLOC was my only revolver reporting a balance.  Mine reports as "check credit or line of credit" on EX, "line of credit" on EQ, and "overdraft/reserve checking account" on TU, but all three count it as a revolver.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Slabenstein wrote:

You're remembering correctly, @Anonymous; I didn't see any point loss when my PLOC was my only revolver reporting a balance.  Mine reports as "check credit or line of credit" on EX, "line of credit" on EQ, and "overdraft/reserve checking account" on TU, but all three count it as a revolver.

Thanks for the info, I zero'd out my last 2 cards on Friday and dropped my CLOC to 23.5% Util. My 3B updates on the 10th so hopefully I will see a boost. 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Slabenstein Thanks!

and to be clear, the AZ loss & no revolving activity code, I believe, is triggered by Revolving Balances being at $0, not by # of revolvers with a balance being 0. 

@Slabenstein The codes we were looking at referred to amount on revolvers, not number correct? good to see you, have you been on vacation?

Message 7 of 11
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Slabenstein Thanks!

and to be clear, the AZ loss & no revolving activity code, I believe, is triggered by Revolving Balances being at $0, not by # of revolvers with a balance being 0. 

@Slabenstein The codes we were looking at referred to amount on revolvers, not number correct? good to see you, have you been on vacation?

When I did AZEO w/ my PLOC, I don't think we were looking at codes.  I couldn't see any at that time anyway.  Iirc, we just wanted to see whether I would get an AZ penalty for reporting $0 on all bankcards while the PLOC had a balance, which I didn't.  I haven't been on vacation, just haven't been on the internet much.  A family member passed, so my attention has been elsewhere.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Slabenstein wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Slabenstein Thanks!

When I did AZEO w/ my PLOC, I don't think we were looking at codes.  I couldn't see any at that time anyway.  Iirc, we just wanted to see whether I would get an AZ penalty for reporting $0 on all bankcards while the PLOC had a balance, which I didn't.  I haven't been on vacation, just haven't been on the internet much.  A family member passed, so my attention has been elsewhere.

@Slabenstein my deepest condolences. My heart goes out to you. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

**Update**

MyFico alerts were going off like crazy yesterday, and I am happy to say that AZEO works with LOC. My util is at 24% across the board and all my scores got a significant boost.

+21 EQ

+50 TU (also had the only collection removed)

+7 EX because they hate me : /

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.