cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would account comments ever adversely affect credit score?

tag
FixItYesterday

Would account comments ever adversely affect credit score?

I disputed some dates on some of my student loans, and now under the comments section of each of the loans, it says "consumer disputes this account". 

Can this at all adversely affect my credit score?   Or credit decisions by creditors?  

I know you'll think this is a dumb question--I'm just trying to track down why I get erroneous negative statements connected with my credit score under the Key Factors that adversely affected your credit score section.  

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Would account comments ever adversely affect credit score?

While a dispute in some instances hurt your FICO, in the case of a loan the dispute comment will not hurt. FICO will ignore certain aspects of OC accounts only during a dispute. These include the payment history, the balance, and the CL (in the case of a CC).

Some creditors have been known to deny credit if they see disputed accounts. This mostly happens among mortgage lenders. Many mortgage lenders will deny a loan if they see disputed accounts.

Message 2 of 6
FixItYesterday

Sorry, wasn't clear -- I disputed these 2-3 years ago.   The dispute is over, but in the comments of the accounts. it says the consumer disputes this account. 

Does this have any effect whatsoever?

Message 3 of 6
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

I do not beilieve that is hurting your score. I  have that in the comment section of one of my accounts. My Fico scores are all over 760.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 6
samdubs
Contributor

If we see a red flag under our FICO score order it is still counting against us on FICO scores? When I apped for a loan I was told that the disputes would not hurt me in the process due to the account being almost 7 years old. The account did update to a different status but still has a "the consumer disputes" comment. If you read these boards too long you will go a bit bonkers wondering if you have done the right thing when going throughout the entire process of rebuilding.

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It won't hurt your score but some lenders will not extend credit with those comments.  You should see about having them removed.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.