cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone used a "guaranteed credit merchandise card" to raise available credit?

tag
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: anyone used a "guaranteed credit merchandise card" to raise available credit?

Does the CJ account report the total 1500 CL or the smallest possible limit? For instance, I was thinking about CJ, but my friend got an account and it reads as follows--"Your zero down credit limit will be determined by the total amount of purchases on your account in the last 12 months or $500 which ever is more." However, his credit limit is UP TO $1500. If only the $500 CL will be reported, then it will be crazy to buy something for $200 and immediately be at 40% UTI.

Set me straight on this please.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: anyone used a "guaranteed credit merchandise card" to raise available credit?

I also had a question.  How come none of these sites will allow you to see what merchandise you actually have to buy?  I understand the concept is primarily to increase your unsecured, overall revolving credit limit and make a positive impact on debt to credit ratio, but still -- what can you/do you have to buy?  Can you make a $25 purchase each month, or do you have to make a certain dollar amount of purchases each month?  I think USA Credit Platinum or something like that, indicated you pay $695 for a $10,000 limit, but that $695 is put onto your account as a "merchandise credit" so I am assuming you'd go on their site and could order up to $695?  So say you made a $200 "purchase" from that initial $695 credit, leaving you with a $495 credit balance.  Does that mean your account balance would report initially as a credit of $495 and a limit of $10,000?  Do you have to make additional purchases or a certain number of purchases per month or could you just "spend" say $50 of that $495 remaining credit each month until gone? 

I'd really love to hear from someone who has used this successfully, can provide information on what they actually could choose from for merchandise, and the impact it actually had on your scores.

Anyone out there?
Message 22 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have successfully used a catalogue card and it has worked out well so far.

First I chose a $10,000 credit line card because I really needed to boost my high credit limit. With the addition of this credit line my debt to credit ratio is down to 36%. I know this still sounds high but that’s where it is.

This is how it worked for me. The cost to sign up was $695.00 of which I paid $495 up front and financed $200. The payments are $20 monthly for 10 months. I do not need to purchase any additional merchandise or pay any monthly fees. I guess I will make another purchase once this initial deal is paid off.

The company I went with is O x publishing http://www.supereasycredit.com/offers/detail/142
Something I really liked is that you can see all their product up front prior to making the purchase. But honestly I don’t care a bit about the books I bought, I just needed the credit line. If I got no product I would have done it anyway.

I checked my credit report about a week after I signed up and the credit line was reporting already. It shows $10,000 in the high credit field and in the outstanding balance field $200.

Hope this helps.
Message 23 of 57
LuvsRetro
Frequent Contributor

cooper: 

Did you see a score change?  Also, what reports are listing the account?  I don't think they report to all three.   I was looking into OX for my son. 
10/01/2017 myFico EQ-778 TU-793 EX-781
11/01/2017 myFico EX-799, Barclays 11-4 Reported: EQ-796 TU-826 EX-799
Message 24 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have successfully used two. ox publishing which currently only reports to one bureau but is getting ready to add transunion. also the usa merchandise card. and heres a hint. you can just pay the 89 dollars and cancel the 14.95 payment within 30 days and it still reports as a $7500 limit. i heard of both through a book/service called the credit secrets bible. and am extremely happy with the results gotten. i just bought a fat saturn sky redline turbo convertible(yellow and black) and my credit score was  731 equifax. that got me 4.99% interest from my credit union. i was sub 600 when i signed up for their help 6 months ago. mike
Message 25 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lalahouse,

Can you tell me what kind of merchandise USA Platinum has?  I can't seem to find anywhere that will tell you what they actually offer to purchase, how much items are, etc.  I see that Ox Publishing is digital media, but what kind?  Regular books you'd find at Borders?  Or obscure stuff no one wants?  I know the main purpose is NOT the items themselves, but the line of credit, I am just curious.

Thanks!
Message 26 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

OX is just e-books for now they are adding down-loadable music. You are not joining for the "books" or what you can buy, just use them for the credit score boost. Think of it this way your paying for your credit score. I have yet to download one e-book from OX. I have the $5,000.00 line and make my $10 a month payment my score went up 40 points.

I have the $50K program from superchargedcredit.com as well we will see how much that rockets the score.

Having looked at them all most of the time the "goods" used in this type of program are overpriced for what they are.
Message 27 of 57
tmacar
Contributor

I actually have one of these. It has a $7,000.00 credit line, which gets added to my total available revolving credit. Since that is more than all the rest of my available revolving credit, it obviously helps my revolving credit used // revolving credit available ratio, which has a pretty large effect on credit score.

The devil is in the details. You can only use this credit to buy things from the issuer's catalog, and the prices some of these companies charge for stuff is ridiculous. If possible, sign up for a free trial and look at what they sell and how high the prices are. However, even if they charge too much for their merchandise, just having the credit line added to your total available revolving credit - you don't normally have to buy a lot of stuff from them - may make it worthwhile for you.

Some companies, however, do require that you make one purchase before they will report the account to the credit bureau. Try to make sure that they have at least 1 thing for sale that you would want to buy, and that you can afford whatever the down payment on it is.

They usually require down payments, and they can tend to be high, for example 60% of the purchase. If 60% is their down payment requirement, you would have to pay $60.00 up front to "charge" A $100.00 item. The remaining $40.00 would be placed on your account, using up $40.00 of your credit line. However, the exact percent required varies among the companies that do this kind of thing, and many of them lower the requirement as the account gets older. My original requirement was 60%, I only ever bought 1 thing from them, and now, about 2 years later, my required down payment is only 10%.

There are always some sort of fees. The one I have requires a $9.95 monthly fee. Some of them require both monthly and initial fees. I got one "offer" in the mail that required an initial fee of over $200.00!

Try to find out who they report to. They DO NOT necessarily report to all 3 major bureaus. I found out, after making the required initial purchase (a $45 wristwatch, $27 down payment), that the company I was dealing with only reports the account to TransUnion, probably the least useful of the 3 majors. Most car dealers, credit unions, retail stores, etc., tend to use Equifax and/or Experian, at least here in Utah.

So, YES, you will get the credit limit, and YES, they will report the account to at least one credit bureau, and YES, that will help your credit score.

On the other hand, the merchandise is likely overpriced, so you probably won't really use the account, you'll probably have to pay some kind of ongoing fee to keep it open, and you might have to pay some initial fee to open the account. You may also have to buy something before they'll start reporting, and they may not report to all 3 major bureaus.

You have to gather as much specific information as you can, and decide if what it will cost you is worth however much it will help your credit.

In my case, for example, if I had known my $9.95 monthly fee was going to get me a $7,000.00 increase in available revolving credit ONLY at TransUnion, I probably wouldn't have done it. On the other hand, once I already had the thing, with an automatic monthly payment set up, I decided to just leave it alone. It does help my score with one bureau, and $9.95 a month isn't very much money.
Message 28 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, I just found this forum the other day, its great!

Thanks Cooper007 for the info on www.supereasycredit.com I went there and signed up for the 10K credit line you recommended. They approved me with no questions asked which is a good thing since my credit is in the toilet.

I have been thinking about also getting another catalogue card, I saw that Super Easy Credit offers these cards:

OX Publishing Onyx Card        (this is the one I got)

OX Publishing Gold Card $5,000.00 Unsecured!

Horizon Gold

USA Platinum

USA Gold

Platinum Plus

All American Gold

Has anyone used any of these other cards?

Message 29 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

mary_c

Good job, I think you will pleased with that choice, I am.

I started out with the Horizon Gold card, it does not give you much of a credit line but it's cheap and easy to get. At the time I just needed to add a new account onto my credit profile.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, there is a wonderful video that explains how these catalogue cards work on the super easy credit website, it is under the heading catalogue cards www.supereasycredit.com/offers/collection/11
Message 30 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.