Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auto loan helps credit score

tag
ficonewbie101
New Visitor

auto loan helps credit score

I am buying a 17K car and i have enough to pay it off.   My credit score is around 780 and I can get a loan for around 1.5%.  If I take the loan and pay it off, will that help improve my credit score to get to the 800 mark?  I have only had credit card balances which I pay off every month and never had a mortgage or credit card payment.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: auto loan helps credit score

Per FICO, I doubt that adding a car note would increase your FICO to 800. Conversely, I would bet a drop in FICO due to the new account with much of the damage disappearing within a few months-year.

There are several posters on here who hit 800 with no loans and only CCs. I hit 777 on my EQ FICO with only CCs, though I had a closed loan reporting at the time come think of it.

Are your CCs reporting $0?

Message 2 of 5
ficonewbie101
New Visitor

Thanks for the reply.  The last I checked my my full credit score i was zeroed out.  My basic credit score has remained dormant these last 2 years according to the backend of my credit union portal.  I want to buy a condo within the next few years and I was thinking that after the car was paid off, It would help my credit score go up.  I have never had a installment payment before.  So you dont think it is worth getting the loan?

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I think you'd lose points if you got a loan. Maybe as it aged years down the road it'll be helping by then, but not 2, IMO. Now I'd get it if I needed it, but I wouldn't do it for FICO.

For max results on revolving credit, don't let all of your CCs report $0. Let one report a small balance. Oddly enough, all $0 balances can hurt your FICO. Ideally you'd want one to report a balance of under 9% of the CL and the rest at $0.

Message 4 of 5
ficonewbie101
New Visitor

Thanks for the advice.  I was only going to get the loan for the FICO score.  I am shocked that keeping a balance on a credit card actually helps your credit score.  I will have to look into it.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.