Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

consolidating student loans

tag
ChistineNJ
Frequent Contributor

consolidating student loans

i need all the points i can get do any of you guys know if i consolidate my student loan debt will that increase my score right now i have about 15 tradelines reporting if i can managing to consolidate them to report as 1 or 2 trades would that help my score? i know that the balances will basically be the same 

C1 Venture 15K| NFCU NAV CHECK 15K| CASH REWARDS 5K| CARE CREDIT 3K| NORDSTROMS 1K| LORD & TAYLOR 1100| WALMART 600| TargetRed 500|Rebuilders

CAP1 1650| CAP 1 1100| BARCLAYS 2500| NREWARDS 8500|
SCT: VS 1100| EXPRESS 1100| JCREW 250| *HIDDEN TL BML 650

SCORES 709, 657, 623
Pre BK scores: 569, 587, 553
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: consolidating student loans

It depends on other factors in your credit file. Also how old the loans are and if the new consolidation loan will change your AAoC, and if you balances reporting are higher than the original loans will have an affect.

At most, I wouldn't expect to see more than a 5 - 10 point change though. But if that's the difference between getting approved for what you need, or not, might be worth it. But you also run the risk of your score dropping, by lowering your AAoC....

If one of the things listed on your credit report for pulling your score down is too many accounts reporting a balance it might be worth it - if you don't have that listed, I wouldn't bother. Focus on the things listed on your credit report as lowering your score - those are what has the greatest impact

Message 2 of 5

If you need the points right now, I wouldn't do it (unless you have some bigger financial purpose, such as fixing a currently low variable rate).

I had a clean but thin file, with 6+ student loans and two revolvers. AAoA of about 9 years. I consolidated my loans as you are considering. It dropped my scores from the low 800s to the low 750s. There were no other changes in my file (util < 5%, etc.) I think this was due to the new consolidated Ioans showing up as new accounts, thus dropping my AAoA. I also suspect that closed loans aren't weighted as heavily.

My scores have since increased over several months, but not to their previous levels.

Message 3 of 5
ChistineNJ
Frequent Contributor

you know i didnt even consider the fact that consolidating would lower my aaoa which is about 17 years the student loans reporting are from the late 90s early 2000.great point

C1 Venture 15K| NFCU NAV CHECK 15K| CASH REWARDS 5K| CARE CREDIT 3K| NORDSTROMS 1K| LORD & TAYLOR 1100| WALMART 600| TargetRed 500|Rebuilders

CAP1 1650| CAP 1 1100| BARCLAYS 2500| NREWARDS 8500|
SCT: VS 1100| EXPRESS 1100| JCREW 250| *HIDDEN TL BML 650

SCORES 709, 657, 623
Pre BK scores: 569, 587, 553
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

reviving your post, did you ever consolidate?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.