Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit balance

tag
hpertrain
Regular Contributor

credit balance

I kkep seeing posts that say keep at least a $5.00 balance on your revolving credit
card accounts versus a 0 balance. I'm in the habit of paying my credit card balance down to
0 after using one each month. Am I missing something? Should I pay the entire balance off
except for $5.00,will that increase my score?
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: credit balance

@hpertrain wrote:
I kkep seeing posts that say keep at least a $5.00 balance on your revolving credit
card accounts versus a 0 balance. I'm in the habit of paying my credit card balance down to 0 after using one each month. Am I missing something? Should I pay the entire balance off except for $5.00,will that increase my score?

You always want to pay the entire balance off (if you can) before the due date, in order to avoid finance charges. What everyone is referring to is the balance at the time the statement closes. The statement balance is what reports to the CRAs and appears on your CR. You don't want to pay your entire balance before the statement closes, if you are trying to maximize your score.

If you intend to pay in full each month, and have a reason to maximize your FICO scores (such as preparing to apply for a mortgage or auto loan):

If your balance is less than 10% of your credit limit just before the statement closes, let that balance post and then pay it in full before the due date.

If your balance is 10% of your credit limit or more, try to pay part of it before your statement closes, so the statement balance is less than 10%, and then pay the rest before the due date.

If you don't have a reason to maximize your FICO scores at the moment, it really doesn't matter if you pay in full before the statement closing date.
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have six credit card accounts, is it best to show a small balances on all six, or just a small balance on 2 of them?
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone tell me if:

CC1 $10
CC2 $10
CC3 $0
CC4 $0
CC5 $0
CC6 $0

Is better then:

CC1 $10
CC2 $10
CC3 $10
CC4 $10
CC5 $10
CC6 $10

?
Message 4 of 24
fused
Moderator Emeritus

section8 wrote:
Can anyone tell me if:

CC1 $10
CC2 $10
CC3 $0
CC4 $0
CC5 $0
CC6 $0

Is better then:

CC1 $10
CC2 $10
CC3 $10
CC4 $10
CC5 $10
CC6 $10

?

the second one is better. 1-9% util on all for max fico points.
Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, that is good to know. I was thinking the first example would give a better score, because 2 cards is supposed to be optimal, so I was thinking 2 balances would be best.
Message 6 of 24
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@fused111 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Can anyone tell me if:
CC1 $10
CC2 $10
CC3 $0
CC4 $0
CC5 $0
CC6 $0
Is better then:
CC1 $10
CC2 $10
CC3 $10
CC4 $10
CC5 $10
CC6 $10
?

the second one is better. 1-9% util on all for max fico points.

I don't agree. Too many accounts with balances. Leave no more than 4 accounts showing a balance including mortgages, car loans and credit cards.
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, that brings me back to #1, since I have other accounts. I wish we could find out for sure... 
Message 8 of 24
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well, that brings me back to #1, since I have other accounts. I wish we could find out for sure...

Every FICO report I have pulled likes under 5 accounts reporting. Three is best. You can get away with four. Try it YMMV.
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
Just wondering...

Say I have a credit limit of $8,000 on a credit card, and I have a current balance of $7,000.  My debt ratio would be 87.5%, right?  But, if I have other credit cards that aren't in use, and all together my credit lines equal say $50,000 my debt ratio wouldn't be so bad.  This won't hurt my credit score, right?  They look at your entire credit line, not just one particular card, right?
Thanks!
Steve
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.