Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit card to boost score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit card to boost score

I don't have any recent "baddies" on my report, but most accounts on there are older (and closed). I don't have a current credit card (just one dept. store card is still active). I am looking at a potentional move to a different area in about a year. I subscribe to a credit monitoring system with an average score in the mid 600s... Should I get a credit card and just keep the utilization low to boost the score to get a good rate on a house when I move next summer (2008)? I know that opening a new account will drop my score initially, but I am thinking that having a recent account that is in good standing will boost it enough to make it worth my while to get. Which are the best out there that report regularly?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go For it

happyone wrote:
I don't have any recent "baddies" on my report, but most accounts on there are older (and closed). I don't have a current credit card (just one dept. store card is still active). I am looking at a potentional move to a different area in about a year. I subscribe to a credit monitoring system with an average score in the mid 600s... Should I get a credit card and just keep the utilization low to boost the score to get a good rate on a house when I move next summer (2008)? I know that opening a new account will drop my score initially, but I am thinking that having a recent account that is in good standing will boost it enough to make it worth my while to get. Which are the best out there that report regularly?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would go for the card just rememebrto kep the utili low.  Opening a new card dosn't necessarily drop your score.  If you open several card in a short period of time you are more likely to see a drop.   Even if it does drop initallym you should recover fairly quickly.  The key to FICO if having a good mix of credit both bank cards, store cards, installment loans and mortgages.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.