Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit score questions

tag
hersheykisses
Regular Contributor

credit score questions

I just checked my TU score its 711 i was all excited until i saw there model goes to 900+?  What the heck.  I thought i was improving but my grade is a C?  Im lost in this understanding of credit Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: credit score questions

What you saw was a FAKO called VantageScore. It's unrelated to FICO.

Message 2 of 8
hersheykisses
Regular Contributor

So when you go to sites like TU and EQ and ask for credit score it isnt the actual score?  My TU site score is same as Walmart TU score.  I was so excited to see myself over 700 then saw credit scores go to 900+

Message 3 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The CRAs all sell their own scores.  EQ does sell their FICO score but it is hard to find.  TU no longer sells their FICO score on their website.  EX hasn't sold one to the consumers since Feb 2009.

Message 4 of 8
hersheykisses
Regular Contributor

ok now im confused so how do i find out my actual credit scores? and what is a decent/good score?

Message 5 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You are limited to where you, the consumer can get actual FICO scores.  myFICO sells the EQ Beacon 5.0 which is widely used by lenders and the same model that you can purchase from the EQ website.  Just make sure it says it is a FICO score. 

You can also purchase your TU98 score from myFICO.  While it is an older version and some lenders still use it, it is not what is widely used. EX is no longer available to the consumer since Feb 2009.

Message 6 of 8
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@kerbear1969 wrote:

So when you go to sites like TU and EQ and ask for credit score it isnt the actual score?  My TU site score is same as Walmart TU score.  I was so excited to see myself over 700 then saw credit scores go to 900+

yes, they are "actual scores".  Just not FICO scores.  As others have stated, there's a variety of scores out there.  Even with true FICO scores, there are dozens of variations of them (auto-enhanced FICO, credit card enhanced FICO, mortgage lender FICO, etc).  The "actual scores" you see are for educational or entertainment purposes and they do in fact serve a useful purpose in tracking TRENDS in one's scores.  But as far as where to get actual FICO scores, the sources are very limited.  If it don't say FICO...it ain't one! Smiley Surprised

As for ranges, FICO is 300-850.  Anything that deviates from that is a FAKO. 

Message 7 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

You're limited on the places to get your FICO score.

You can only buy your EQ FICO from myFICO, your lender, or from Equifax.com (buyer beware: the scores they push are a FAKO, but your EQ FICO can be purchased through EQ).

You can only buy your TU FICO from myFICO or your lender.

Finally, you can only buy your EX FICO from your lender. As of a few years ago, Experian blocked consumer access to your own EX FICO.

Aside from the above, you can also get your FICO scores for free or at a reduced price. Banks and CUs will offer it as a benefit. M&T Bank, Unitus Community Credit Union, and Digital Credit Union each offer an EQ FICO. You can get your TU FICO from Wal-Mart or Merrick Bank if you have CCs with them. And you can get your EX FICO from PA State Employees Credit Union (PSECU) if you have a checking account with them. There are other CUs out there that will offer a FICO if you ask them as part of a benefit for being a member.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.