Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

equifax says 8% util neg factor?

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

equifax says 8% util neg factor?

pulled my report. i let 8% util report this month and said this is a negative factor and suggested i get it under 7%. not really stressing this but i thought 1-9% was optimal for max scoring?

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: equifax says 8% util neg factor?

You are correct, but the closer to 1% you get, the slightly better (minimal at best). When FICO doesn't have a lot of negative informatioin to point out, they pick trivial things that might be affecting your score by a point or two. This is pretty common. I would guess that your scores are fairly high to get this comment.

Don't stress over it.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Was this from a myFICO report?

Message 3 of 12
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

On my FICO reports, it tells you your Util %, then says "for FICO high acheivers, the ratio is 7%, on average" - so I guess that would mean 8% would not be good. However, I would think the damage of having 8% would be negligible, depending on what else is on your report.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 4 of 12
Steelersfan904
Regular Contributor

@emptypockets wrote:

On my FICO reports, it tells you your Util %, then says "for FICO high acheivers, the ratio is 7%, on average" - so I guess that would mean 8% would not be good. However, I would think the damage of having 8% would be negligible, depending on what else is on your report.

For anybody rebuilding I would suggest 1% or less. I decided to play around and let 10% report in June to see what can happen while I get used to this while Fico thing. I lost 5 points

Starting Score: 502 5/4/2012
Current Score: 640 08/03/2012
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 12
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Was this from a myFICO report?

yes equifax myfico report sold here

Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 6 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

The 7% mention is a generic guide, and isn't specific to you. FICO put the 8% on the neg. side due to your scoring bucket. I bet $5 that if it fell below 7%, it'll still be on the negative side. If not, and it disappears, then probably something else will be added in that slot. FICO ranks these in order. Which position is utilization at? Last?

Message 7 of 12
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

The 7% mention is a generic guide, and isn't specific to you. FICO put the 8% on the neg. side due to your scoring bucket. I bet $5 that if it fell below 7%, it'll still be on the negative side. If not, and it disappears, then probably something else will be added in that slot. FICO ranks these in order. Which position is utilization at? Last?

yes its last. i let 152 out of 2000 cl report. 4 things are listed as negative factors affecting my score

1 collection due to fall off early 2013

2 short account history

3 seeking credit

4 high credit usage

Message 8 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Steelersfan904 wrote:

For anybody rebuilding I would suggest 1% or less. I decided to play around and let 10% report in June to see what can happen while I get used to this while Fico thing. I lost 5 points

FICO rounds utilization up for scoring so anything less than 1% (except zero utilization of course) will be shown as 1%.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also think that the higher your Fico Score is the greater the little stuff would effect it so this is also a factor in my humble opinion!  Obviously a 1% is better than anything obove that but just FYI!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.