Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

increasing balance on installment loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

increasing balance on installment loan

last month when i pulled my car loan was at $10,873 now this month it was reported as $11,076. Smiley Indifferent

i tried calling today but they had already closed. Doubt it is anything i have to worry about but it is weird that they would report a higher/incorrect balance.

there was no late payment or anything like that.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: increasing balance on installment loan

It shouldn't be an issue. Although installment util is a factor in scoring, it's a very, very minor one. I doubt that you'll see anything from it.

I would keep calling the lender though, as you tried to do, to find out what's up. And if you do see a score change, maybe you can use that as a stick to (politely) wave at them while requesting that they fix their error. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 4
laz98
Senior Contributor

at what point do you suppose an increase in UTIL would be a factor?  would it have to go up like $10k or something?

Message 3 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I don't think there's a real twitch until you're at 90% or more of installment util. I know that when an auto loan posted, I got a ding for high util on installment, and it was gone the very next month.

That doesn't mean that it wasn't counting negatively at some point, but it was no longer in the top three negatives that were displaying at that point. (I think my scores were in the 7-teens somewhere.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.