Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this normal or is it just me....

tag
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

is this normal or is it just me....

ive been doing the AZEO since december 2020.   i let my cap1 QS report a small balance.  its always less than $80.  i have a $3,300 CL on this card.   this month i messed up and didnt pay down my balance for an amazon purchase.   i had forgot about it really till i got my statement and my reporting balance went from $73 to $179.27     i thought it wouldnt be that big of a deal but my EX fico score dropped 6 points because of that tiny increase.  i got all these notififations saying "balance increase"  "could harm"  type messages.  i havent checked the others yet. i assume they will be similar.   both CK scores dropped 1 point also. 

is this something that normally justifies a drop like this over a tiny balance even though i have less than 1% utilization over all limits?

fico scores - March 2024:
TU - 727 | EX - 732 | EQ - 736 |
TCL - 168K - UTIL - less than 1%
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SoonerSoldier33
Frequent Contributor

Re: is this normal or is it just me....

There are individual revolving utilization thresholds along with aggregate. The lower individual thresholds differ among the different scorecards, and aren't very well understood yet. You crossed 5% of that card's individual balance. You seem to be pretty good proof that there's a 5% individual utilization threshold on your current scorecard. Of course, utilization has no memory in current FICO models, so you'll get all your points back when you get back to AZEO.

Team Garden Club as of Oct 2021
Message 2 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

How many cards do you have? If its a thin file then yes 6 points is normal. Your still under 8% which is the next threshold. Nothing to worry about. Dont go by what CK says. Were all doomed if a balance goes up. Back to AZEO and back come the points. 6 pts isnt much to worry about.

Message 3 of 6
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

i have 6 mastercards and 1 store card from kohls.  all cards have decent limits except my starter card, credit one bank amex with a $500 limit.  they refuse to budge on a CLI no matter what i spend.  ill prob cancel the card before the AF comes around in december.  all other cards have given reguluar CLI with no issue.  

i have my balance paid down to $57 and that is whats gonna report next statement.  i hope to regain those points and maybe a few more because of a recent CLI on my kohls card & ollo rewards.   as of now i have less than 1% total utilization, which EX reports as 1% with a total available credit of 34k.   im currently 10 months into my rebuild from bk13. 

fico scores - March 2024:
TU - 727 | EX - 732 | EQ - 736 |
TCL - 168K - UTIL - less than 1%
Message 4 of 6
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@JcT21 wrote:

ive been doing the AZEO since december 2020.   i let my cap1 QS report a small balance.  its always less than $80.  i have a $3,300 CL on this card.   this month i messed up and didnt pay down my balance for an amazon purchase.   i had forgot about it really till i got my statement and my reporting balance went from $73 to $179.27     i thought it wouldnt be that big of a deal but my EX fico score dropped 6 points because of that tiny increase.  i got all these notififations saying "balance increase"  "could harm"  type messages.  i havent checked the others yet. i assume they will be similar.   both CK scores dropped 1 point also. 

is this something that normally justifies a drop like this over a tiny balance even though i have less than 1% utilization over all limits?

@JcT21 It is normal! Even though they say to keep your util. under 8.9%, I found that when I lower it even more, I get max points. Usually, once you hit 4-5%, you are ar the lowest threashold.

I'm also assuming that you are talking about your FICO score. If it is your Ck score, then I would just ignore it since it's not widely used and is generaly considered "educational".

Message 5 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Cant beat CLI's. But as long as one card reports a balance of that cards limit for AZEO. It doesnt matter how high your total crecdit line is. But we all like high lines of credit in case of emergencies. And bragging rights for some. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.