Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

manipulating minutia...

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: manipulating minutia...

Well, I was half right...now that all of her accounts are under 80% util, her scores HAVE increased...26 points on EX, 32 points on EQ and TU.

However, much more noticably, as her util dropped, the CLI's started rolling in...she's had SEVEN unrequested CLI's since 01 July...

Food for thought boys and girls....  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 11 of 20
Quips
Regular Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

Well, I was half right...now that all of her accounts are under 80% util, her scores HAVE increased...26 points on EX, 32 points on EQ and TU.

However, much more noticably, as her util dropped, the CLI's started rolling in...she's had SEVEN unrequested CLI's since 01 July...

Food for thought boys and girls....  Smiley Happy

That's great - congrats. Next thing to help increase the score would be to make sure that less than 50% of her open accounts report a balance.

FICO: EQ 769, TU 762 , EX ???

Message 12 of 20
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Thats a good point...I hadn't thought of that.  Thank you!

Message 13 of 20
jamie123
Valued Contributor

UTI has a huge impact on scores!

Here is a stategy you might want to consider as your next move:

Paying off the lower balance cards in full. One of the "rules" with FICO is "The number of cards reporting balances." Once you get more that 50% of the cards reporting zero balances you will see a spike in her scores.

You said 19 cards, right? If you can get 10 to report zero you will see that spike.

Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 14 of 20
drkaje
Senior Contributor

IMO,

Ignore the score.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 20
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

IMO,

Ignore the score.

Why do you say that?  The whole point (or most of the point, anyway) was to see if this would affect her scores...

Message 16 of 20
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@tcbofade wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

IMO,

Ignore the score.

Why do you say that?  The whole point (or most of the point, anyway) was to see if this would affect her scores...

Because the score is just a snapshot of how we manage finances. In the bigger picture, she'll gain more points with lower debt.

I get dinged for utility, too many cards with balance, and other stuff when forgetting and letting a balance post but worry more about the debt trend itself. My score is fine but even if it were 851, the problem is still too much debt. I can barely keep 7 cards straight, 19 would be a job, LOL!

It pretty much seems that FICO loves utilization around 9%, on one card. If that's not an option, they like it when every card isn't reporting a balance. I don't track the changes closely enough to see how 4 cards versus 7 reporting affects the score, though. I don't really believe it matters until you're positioned for a major purchase.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 20
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

IMO,

Ignore the score.

Because the score is just a snapshot of how we manage finances. In the bigger picture, she'll gain more points with lower debt.

I get dinged for utility, too many cards with balance, and other stuff when forgetting and letting a balance post but worry more about the debt trend itself. My score is fine but even if it were 851, the problem is still too much debt. I can barely keep 7 cards straight, 19 would be a job, LOL!

It pretty much seems that FICO loves utilization around 9%, on one card. If that's not an option, they like it when every card isn't reporting a balance. I don't track the changes closely enough to see how 4 cards versus 7 reporting affects the score, though. I don't really believe it matters until you're positioned for a major purchase.

Shhhhhhhhh! Quiet down there!

That's what I was attempting to have him do without actually mentioning it.

+1 to drkaje's advice. You need to eventually get the balances below 9%, but you already know that I hope.Smiley Wink

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 18 of 20
tcbofade
Super Contributor

LOL!   You're both correct, of course...but you're thinking a bit more down the road than I am.

At this point, as we ARE reducing our debt, I wanted to see if making sure that NO ONE account was over 80% would help her score...

...and it seems to have worked. 

Of course, her overall utilization was reduced as well, but not very far...maybe from 36% to 32% or so...in a few months, she'll be under 30%.

We'll get there!

Message 19 of 20
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Hmph.

Had to redo my CC spreadsheet for a variety of reasons...there are still a few payments in process, but when they all post, HER util will be 34.0%

She was/is listed as an AU on several of my accounts...I called CC companies and removed her from two of them.

When everything updates, she'll have 17 reporting accounts, 3 of them are completely paid off, so I have to find six more...two of which are easy (low balance), but finding four more may take some time.

I'm hoping that I can get her total util under 30% in the very near future...

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.