Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myFICO score went down?

tag
Reviewers
Established Contributor

myFICO score went down?

I have been registered on myFICO since the beginning of the month and today I received a e-mail regarding a update on my account. I went in the e-mail to check it out and it says based on TransUnion data that I have an updated score. I go into the app and my TransUnion score went down 10 points? I go to "alerts" and it says "An account under dispute has been detected -10", I had 4 Capital One late payments that were removed as a goodwill and my total balance owed went up $470. My question is, why did my score go down 10 points from removing those late payments? Did my score go down 10 points because I owe $470+ more on my total debt? I was expecting it to go up a bit not go down. My Equifax and Experian didn't change. Hopefully somebody on the forums can give me some insight on to why this has happened.

Last week, my TransUnion credit score said +0 after the dispute finalized and I got the late payments removed. It said "A deliquency/past due account was removed from your credit report". Why did my score go down a week after dispute is over? I was totally under the assumption that disputing the late payments and getting them removed would increase my score.

5 REPLIES 5
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: myFICO score went down?

Based on the limited information we have, it's hard to say why it happened!

You said your total balance increased by $470, but you didn't say what percentage that represents. Or percentages. If you have a card with a $500 limit, and the $470 is all on that one card, there's your answer--that puts your utilization for that one card at almost 100%. If that's your only card, then your overall utilization is also at nearly 100%. On the other hand, if you have the $470 spread out over several high limit cards, and no one card has a high utilization percentage, that's a different story.

If you provide more details, we may be able to give a more informed response. But with that said, I just want to point out that a variation of 10 points is not a big deal! I see my scores go up or down by 40, 50, or more points and don't even blink. That's because I know what caused it, and I know it's temporary, so I don't sweat it. Give us more info and we'll see how it all looks!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 2 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If the lates were individual 30 day lates and older than 2 yrs. They dont do much damage after that. My 1 and only 30 day late that fell off 3 yrs ago gained 3 pts. The rest @SoCalGardener covered very well.

Message 3 of 6
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

If the lates were individual 30 day lates and older than 2 yrs. They dont do much damage after that. My 1 and only 30 day late that fell off 3 yrs ago gained 3 pts. The rest @SoCalGardener covered very well.

I'd offer that the impact of a derog is very much file-dependent.

I don't recall the exact boost, but one 30-day late, the sole derog in my history, kept my scores below 750 until it rolled off.

When it did roll off, I recall my score rising by at least 30 points; probably more.

ETA: I just reviewed an old post.  In Jan. 2018, EX was 723, EQ 750, and TU (the first reflecting a derog-free file) 798.  A single 30-day late derog can make one FICO of a difference.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 4 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

I'd offer that the impact of a derog is very much file-dependent.

I don't recall the exact boost, but one 30-day late, the sole derog in my history, kept my scores below 750 until it rolled off.

When it did roll off, I recall my score rising by at least 30 points; probably more.

ETA: I just reviewed an old post.  In Jan. 2018, EX was 723, EQ 750, and TU (the first reflecting a derog-free file) 798.  A single 30-day late derog can make one FICO of a difference.

Dang. Wish I had the same effect. Lucky you. Maybe my BK held it back. With FICO who knows @expatCanuck 

Message 5 of 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

MyFICO alerts aren't always necessarily correlated to the score change. It's just that when an event that triggers an alert happens, your report is updated along with your score. That doesn't mean whatever is in the alert is the cause of said score change.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.