TU-793
EQ-801
EX-754
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: need help in improving my wife's score

What's her score now?  What's her CR look like?  Are there any baddies?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 8
shorttough
New Contributor

I dont have her score. she has no late payements, no collections or anything, her oldest account is from February 2011.

So i added her as a AU, and so that her oldest account becomes 2007

As Of 11/11/2016

TU-793
EQ-801
EX-754
Message 3 of 8
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

The car loan is an installment loan and counts next to nothing towards your score. The charge account is generally not used for credit card utilization, but is still debt, so it helps to pay it down. The important part is to keep a small balance on one of the four revolving credit cards, as zero debt across these cards doesn't show responsible use of credit as far as the FICO score is concerned. That's about it.

Message 4 of 8
shorttough
New Contributor

so the 9%-10% utilization of CC's, for the best FICO impact.. how can i achieve it?  i have limited cash, beause of downpayment for mortgage.. and don't want to increase DTI by having balance on other cards, since this zales card min payment is only 25.00 a month. Also do this charge card have individual utilization calculations vs overall utilization?

As Of 11/11/2016

TU-793
EQ-801
EX-754
Message 5 of 8
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

If the charge card is not used for utilization, buy a cup of coffee using one of the four revolving cards, and your wife's utilization will move from 0% to a perfect 1%.

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

My take:

The Zales card is definately being included in calculation of % util, as it is the 10.2% being shown as the overall % util of the combined CL of $16,650.

That is a good overall % util.  However, FICO scores both overall % util and the % util on individ revolving, and that one card is near 50%.

It is having some adverse impact, but is only one of five.  FICO has never disclosed the relative weighting of overalll vs individ card utils in its scoring, so it is speculative as to the effect of that one card.

Ideally, each card should also be less than 10%, so improvement in util scoring would come about by paying that card down.

It represents future opportunity for quick score improvement, but unless she needs to app for new credit soon, it's kinda academic, as FICO only scores the currently reported utils.

The most significant factor, in my opinion, is low length of credit.  Being added as an AU will provide improved length of credit, and thus possible score improvement, but AUs dont come without their own baggage.

Addition of the credit history of another in one's CR is helpful if  used to app for credit that has a relatively low principal or revolv CL, as many of those creditors rely primarily on FICO score in their determinations.  A great building tool.  However, if apping for higher amts of credit, the creditor will most likely do a more thorough manual review.  Seeing the credit history of another as a part of her risk score, they may wish to evaluate her score without that artificial score impact.  They simply cannot do that, as they have no way of producing a score without that history.So it might discount the value of her score in their determination.

She has multiple revolving, and a mix of revolv and install.  I dont see a screaming need for new accounts from a FICO perspective.  And addted new accounts will, by definitiion, lower her AAoA even further, and also most likely have inquiries associated with their app process.  I dont see need for new TLs as part of her rebuilding.

I see maturing of her accounts as the major factor, which only comes about with age.

Personally, I would be hesitant to add the account history of another to her score.

Message 7 of 8
shorttough
New Contributor

Thank you Robert and everyone for your input.  I am going to remove the AU after we close on the house, right now its crucial i keep the AU. I just signed her up for EQ Scorewatch here, the score is: 740.

Her negatives are:

You have a short credit history.

- Your oldest account was opened
5 Years, 2 Months ago

- Average age of your accounts
1 year

Her positives are:

You have no missed payments on your credit accounts.

You've limited the use of your available credit.

10%

You've shown recent use of credit cards.

As Of 11/11/2016

TU-793
EQ-801
EX-754
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.