Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying off revolving debt with consolidation loan question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

paying off revolving debt with consolidation loan question

I had 20k in cc debt and i took out a consolidation loan to pay it off.

will my credit score go up becuase my cc debt is 0? i know credit card limit utilization is a big factor  so seeing its now 0$ on all cc will that help even tho  my actaul total debt didnt go down?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: paying off revolving debt with consolidation loan question

@Anonymous wrote:

I had 20k in cc debt and i took out a consolidation loan to pay it off.

will my credit score go up becuase my cc debt is 0? i know credit card limit utilization is a big factor  so seeing its now 0$ on all cc will that help even tho  my actaul total debt didnt go down?

It depends on how much your UTI was hurting your scores. Without knowing the details, it could have been a little, or a lot. You'll know when the cards all report.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: paying off revolving debt with consolidation loan question

What were you CC utilization %? Did you pay off the entire amount?

Message 3 of 5
tufa4311
Established Contributor

's Re: paying off revolving debt with consolidation loan question

As mentioned, it's not about your balance of revolving accounts, it's about your utilization of those accounts. You had 20k is credit card balances - well, if your total available credit is 200k then you were only using 10% of your overall credit thus bringing it down to zero will not be a huge factor. Now, on the other hand, if you were using every dollar of credit you had and were at 100% utilization your score has the potential to shoot through the roof. It's all relative - 20k relative to what?

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 4 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 's Re: paying off revolving debt with consolidation loan question

For scoring purposes you want at least one card to have a small balance on it, all $0 is a negative under every FICO model we're aware of.

        
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.