Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Too many new accounts" and time

tag
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Re: "Too many new accounts" and time

@KJinNC wrote:

Thanks - good info on adverse actions for many situations - in my situation, my new accounts are all secured cards and other credit-builder type stuff, so I doubt that would happen.

I am the personality type that would rather frontload all the pain rather than spread it out, so I figured I'd get most of the pain of new accounts done to kick off the process. Just making sure there's not a part of the algorithm that negatively scores "number of accounts opened within 90 days of each other" (which would be true for years to come) as opposed to "number of accounts opened in past X number of days or months".

I think you'll be just fine. I opened most of my cards in my sig in Sept./Oct. I've added a few more since then, but I haven't had any AA happen (yet). Definitely need to update my signature. I think you're doing things right; you'll have multiple nicely aged cards if you don't open anything else for a while. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 11 of 14
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I didn't know about the Amazon Prime Store Card when I was getting my builder cards. Today after reading the responses to this thread, I was thinking ... maybe now while everything is a month old at the most anyway, I should go ahead and get anything I can actually be approved for, that I will actually use and keep.

I shop at Amazon quite a bit, so 5% off is appealing. I figured I would keep an Amazon card permanently. I knew I probably wouldn't qualify for the normal card, but I was ok with doing the security deposit thing, so that in the long run, it would mature and I could hold it for years to get the discount. I bit the bullet, while sighing about another hard inquiry on TU. Got a notification that I had to call them to confirm some information. Called with a sense of dread that I might get denied for even the secured card due to my flurry of new accounts. They had me confirm my phone number (I had entered my cell number in the Home Phone field and the Cell Phone field, since it's the only phone I have), put me on hold, came back on, and told me I was approved for the standard card with a $1500 limit!

Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised, I don't know ... it is a store card, not a Visa or Mastercard. But given my situation, you could have knocked me over with a feather.

So, this means I will have *eight* accounts all started about the same time (or seven not counting the AU) ... looking forward to how this develops over time. Thanks for all input and advice. That's the last time I'm going to apply for, until I start seeing prequalifications for stuff like Amex Gold.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 12 of 14
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

I didn't know about the Amazon Prime Store Card when I was getting my builder cards. Today after reading the responses to this thread, I was thinking ... maybe now while everything is a month old at the most anyway, I should go ahead and get anything I can actually be approved for, that I will actually use and keep.

I shop at Amazon quite a bit, so 5% off is appealing. I figured I would keep an Amazon card permanently. I knew I probably wouldn't qualify for the normal card, but I was ok with doing the security deposit thing, so that in the long run, it would mature and I could hold it for years to get the discount. I bit the bullet, while sighing about another hard inquiry on TU. Got a notification that I had to call them to confirm some information. Called with a sense of dread that I might get denied for even the secured card due to my flurry of new accounts. They had me confirm my phone number (I had entered my cell number in the Home Phone field and the Cell Phone field, since it's the only phone I have), put me on hold, came back on, and told me I was approved for the standard card with a $1500 limit!

Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised, I don't know ... it is a store card, not a Visa or Mastercard. But given my situation, you could have knocked me over with a feather.

So, this means I will have *eight* accounts all started about the same time (or seven not counting the AU) ... looking forward to how this develops over time. Thanks for all input and advice. That's the last time I'm going to apply for, until I start seeing prequalifications for stuff like Amex Gold.

Yeah, you need to garden the cards you have now and maybe wait a year and app for 2 quality cards. If you keep apping now, you won't be doing anything to help your scores and at some point will start being rejected for everything.

You did a great job so far. You have a pretty thick file for starting out and that will really help you with AAoA down the road. Just concentrate on quality and not quantity from here on out and you will do fine.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! You did great! STOP while you are ahead. This will be a great AAoA buffer years down the line! No, there's nothing that is going to cause you lasting damage, since you went unscathed by AA!

BUT I have a question. Do you have an active installment loan on your profile? If not, go investigate and implement the SSLT (Share Secured Loan Technique) ASAP, so that you can start its ageing as well. THEN, go chill in the garden and watch how your scores grow in 12 months, due to AoYA increasing, inquiries becoming unscoreable after a year, and the SSLT adding a little fuel!
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.