cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what happens to accounts included in BK if the BK item itself gets deleted from CRA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what happens to accounts included in BK if the BK item itself gets deleted from CRA

On my EX I filed BK back in 2004.

I have 13 negative accounts of which 11 were included in the BK filing.

What happens if I dispute and delete just the BK?

What will happen to my 11 account status "Included in BK, $0 bal"?

My EX FICO is 630 from my lender.

Should my score drop or go up?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: what happens to accounts included in BK if the BK item itself gets deleted from CRA

@Anonymous wrote:

On my EX I filed BK back in 2004.

I have 13 negative accounts of which 11 were included in the BK filing.

What happens if I dispute and delete just the BK?  Dude!  Don't dispute accurate information on your CR.  Disputes are used when there's inaccurate info on your CR.  And disputing accurate info can have very negative consequences.  Also please note that it violates our Credit Repair Discussion Guidelines, Terms of Service, and User Guidelines that prohibit the promotion of certain types of credit repair. Please read these guidelines before posting anything further about credit repair.  Thanks for contributing to these forums and for your cooperation!

What will happen to my 11 account status "Included in BK, $0 bal"?

My EX FICO is 630 from my lender.

Should my score drop or go up?

Also please note that your FICO scores can be as high as 760 with a BK reporting.  There's a lot of good steps you can take to REBUILD (rather than REPAIR) your credit.  Hang out in the Rebuilding Your Credit forums for lots of helpful info on rebuilding and score building - you'll find lots of helpful advice from folks who have been there.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: what happens to accounts included in BK if the BK item itself gets deleted from CRA

When a BK is discharged, from a credit reporting point of view, it has two initial impacts.

First, the legal discharge of the debt on those accounts included in the BK requires that the debt balance on those accounts be updated to $0 in your credit file/CR.

However, discharge of the BK does not "discharge" or delete any negative reportings made under the account prior to the BK, so they remain.

Second, the BK itself can be reported to your CR.  FCRA 605(a)(1) sets the period for how long the reporting of the BK can continue to be included in your CR.

I am not sure how one gets the reporting of a legitimate BK deleted, but if that were to happen, the underlying derogs reported on each account that led up to the BK would remain.  The presence of numerous major derogs in your CR, of which the actual BK reporting was only one, normally results in small gains in credit score.  So if your CR is still ladened with major derogs, I would not anticipate much gain.  And i also dont see that deletion of the BK reporting would erase all trace of the BK from your CR, since when updating the debt balance on each account to $0, the reason code would indicate that the debt was discharged under BK.

In my opinion, it would be a very difficult task to purge your credit file of all indications of the BK under each and every discharged account.

Message 3 of 4
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Doing what you are suggesting would only cause you more problems than you have now with your credit. I also doubt very much that it will be sucessful. Leave the BK and related accounts alone.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.