cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what's it going to take to get an 800 credit score?

squarebasketball
Frequent Contributor

what's it going to take to get an 800 credit score?

I've been between 797 and 798 for 5 months straight, and I was wondering what is necessary to get 800 and higher. right now, my inquiries aren't that high on all credit bureaus, I haven't really been trying to keep a balance on only one credit card to report with, got some student loans left, and been making loan payments that aren't student loans. Would I just have to pretty much garden and then wait until all the inquiries fall off? And I know there's no additional benefits having an 800 or higher credit score, but i'd like to be able to brag about it at least once lol. thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: what's it going to take to get an 800 credit score?

You pretty much have to keep doing what you have been doing and be patient, you'll get there.

 

In the aftermath of my extended spree (55 cards in 24 months) my EX score was stuck at 793-795 for over a year until one day it seemingly randomly jumped to 801.

(5/2022)
FICO 8 (EX) 827 (TU) 834 (EQ) 827
FICO 9 (EX) 843 (TU) 845 (EQ) 846

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 10
DJRobbieD
Regular Contributor

Re: what's it going to take to get an 800 credit score?


@squarebasketball wrote:

I've been between 797 and 798 for 5 months straight, and I was wondering what is necessary to get 800 and higher. right now, my inquiries aren't that high on all credit bureaus, I haven't really been trying to keep a balance on only one credit card to report with, got some student loans left, and been making loan payments that aren't student loans. Would I just have to pretty much garden and then wait until all the inquiries fall off? And I know there's no additional benefits having an 800 or higher credit score, but i'd like to be able to brag about it at least once lol. thanks!


Without knowing your credit profile, I'd guess it's utilization or average age of accounts holding you back from the elusive 800. Feel free to share some data points to confirm my theory Smiley Happy


TCL: $395.6k
Message 3 of 10
mommydiva
Frequent Contributor

Re: what's it going to take to get an 800 credit score?

55 cards in 24 months is BOSS!

Message 4 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: what's it going to take to get an 800 credit score?


@squarebasketball wrote:

I've been between 797 and 798 for 5 months straight, and I was wondering what is necessary to get 800 and higher. right now, my inquiries aren't that high on all credit bureaus, I haven't really been trying to keep a balance on only one credit card to report with, got some student loans left, and been making loan payments that aren't student loans. Would I just have to pretty much garden and then wait until all the inquiries fall off? And I know there's no additional benefits having an 800 or higher credit score, but i'd like to be able to brag about it at least once lol. thanks!


Well you haven't given us much to go on. I would need to know what your profile is today, in order to advise you on how to improve it.

 

Based on the few clues you've given:

 

1. Your inquiries falling off at the 12 month mark will help.

2.  Getting your aggregate loan utilization down to 9% or less will help your FICO 8's and 9's.

3.  Having almost all accounts reporting zero balances will likely help.


Total revolving limits 689000 (587000 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 718 TU 714 EX 695

Message 5 of 10
JFox418
Regular Contributor

Re: what's it going to take to get an 800 credit score?

The inquiries could be 10-20 points alone. I was at 808 with zero inquiries over 24 months and dropped 16 points when 3 hard pulls hit. 

11.05.21 - EX 767 / EQ 774 / TU 762 %56 UTIL $43.1K CL (WIP) 
CURRENT - EX 796 / EQ 816 / TU 812 %16 UTIL $98.7K CL

Message 6 of 10
MasonK
Frequent Contributor

Re: what's it going to take to get an 800 credit score?

When my foreclosures fell off EX in January 2021, my FICO8 went to 797 while the rest went to over 800. It took me 13 months before EX8 went to 801.

 

I feel your pain of looking at that number stay so close to 800 without going over. Without more information it's hard to say, but I'd say that 1-6 months is reasonable for that change to happen.

1/1/16 FICO8 Scores: EX: 407, EQ: 403, TU: 455
3/1/22 FICO8 Scores: EX: 808, EQ: 742, TU: 804
FICO9 EX: 815

Message 7 of 10
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Re: what's it going to take to get an 800 credit score?

My EX FICO 8 is currently 792, while EQ and TU are 25 points or so higher.  Six INQs will do that.

 

In 8 months, when one or two have dropped and the others are a year old, my EX score will be 82x.

 

 

2022 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take)  [ Last INQ 15-Mar-2022 ]
EQ8195 INQ (2 CC 2 mort, car)7y0m
EX7946 INQ (4 CC, 2 mort)6y10m
TU8222 INQ (2 mort)6y5m
4/243/12AoYA 2m | AoOA 23y3m< 2%
Message 8 of 10
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Re: what's it going to take to get an 800 credit score?


@coldfusion wrote:

You pretty much have to keep doing what you have been doing and be patient, you'll get there.

 

In the aftermath of my extended spree (55 cards in 24 months) my EX score was stuck at 793-795 for over a year until one day it seemingly randomly jumped to 801.


@coldfusion 

55 cards in 24 months is indeed badass.

Must surely do a number on AAoA.

2022 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take)  [ Last INQ 15-Mar-2022 ]
EQ8195 INQ (2 CC 2 mort, car)7y0m
EX7946 INQ (4 CC, 2 mort)6y10m
TU8222 INQ (2 mort)6y5m
4/243/12AoYA 2m | AoOA 23y3m< 2%
Message 9 of 10
coldfusion
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: what's it going to take to get an 800 credit score?


@expatCanuck wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

You pretty much have to keep doing what you have been doing and be patient, you'll get there.

 

In the aftermath of my extended spree (55 cards in 24 months) my EX score was stuck at 793-795 for over a year until one day it seemingly randomly jumped to 801.


@coldfusion 

55 cards in 24 months is indeed badass.

Must surely do a number on AAoA.


It did, and while my Vantage 3.0 and earlier FICO scores suffered my FICO 8 and FICO 9 really didn't.    My AAoA low point was a bit over 2 yrs.

 

p.s. I'm not the record-holder here.

(5/2022)
FICO 8 (EX) 827 (TU) 834 (EQ) 827
FICO 9 (EX) 843 (TU) 845 (EQ) 846

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.