Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what to do to make it to 750-800

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: what to do to make it to 750-800

@NRB525 wrote:

but then I would have to buy something from FingerHut.... no, not happening Smiley Happy

In certain stages of FICO scoring, FingerHut could indeed help a score, due to being able to get the credit in the first place if one is not otherwise able to. At higher FICO scores, there are cards which you will be able to get to replace the FingerHut.

@Anonymous. FH gets such a bad rap. I started off @ 525 Trans so I understand what your saying. I was in that low stage of Fico.

Message 21 of 45
HiLine
Blogger

Your credit profile is very similar to mine. You should follow my quest for 800: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/HiLine-s-quest-to-800-FICO/td-p/3385653

At 3 years of credit history length and 2 years of AAoA, I got into the high 780's.

Message 22 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@colinstu wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow you have a lot of credit accounts. I only have 3 and scared to open more. I thought too much credit hurts, Im trying to get where you are score wise. One thing your missing...FingerHut. Don't laugh...Expensive, yes but easy bump and quick.

If you're smart with credit, too much credit doesn't hurt. 

Anyone in their right mind (who already has good credit) wouldn't waste their time with FingerHut. 

I took your advice & went on a very mini spree. Applied for a cc with my bank, amazon & barclay. I have a block on my credit file due to previous identifty theft so I cant get an instant decision. They have to confirm its me. Fingers crossed!

Message 23 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI all. This thread does not apply to me so much as I am still in the building stages trying to get where most of you are at. Thought I would weigh in as this is where I hope to be in the next couple years for some ideas on how to get there. Right now stuck in the low 700's because of a bad financial situation about 5 yrs ago that is fixing to be gone in the next couple years. One thing I noticed when looking at the OP's profile was no installment loan. Do you have a mortgage, auto loan, or any other type of installment account? I thought types of credit played some role. If not wanting to be tied down by a major purchase now, could a person take that credit account 2it a balance and transfer it to some kind of personal bank note of the installment type instead of revolving debt and note a considerable bump as that would show more than one type of credit? Just wondered.
Message 24 of 45
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
HI all. This thread does not apply to me so much as I am still in the building stages trying to get where most of you are at. Thought I would weigh in as this is where I hope to be in the next couple years for some ideas on how to get there. Right now stuck in the low 700's because of a bad financial situation about 5 yrs ago that is fixing to be gone in the next couple years. One thing I noticed when looking at the OP's profile was no installment loan. Do you have a mortgage, auto loan, or any other type of installment account? I thought types of credit played some role. If not wanting to be tied down by a major purchase now, could a person take that credit account2it a balance and transfer it to some kind of personal bank note of the installment type instead of revolving debt and note a considerable bump as that would show more than one type of credit? Just wondered.

Good point.  Paying down Citi will give you immediate boost(it should be at no more than 30 which is $2610.It's even better to have it less than 10%).  Other than that, time and mix of credit are your friends. Many subscribe to getting two small shared loans here's a link to a post that gives details.

Anyway good luck and good credit journey.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 25 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops. Noted op just bought a car. Should have read more carefully. My idea.might still give a small bump but not sure op wants another installment loan. One shouldn't listen to me anyway. I by no means am an expert on raising credit scores. That being said I could probably write a book on ways to LOWER your fico score. Think I'd get many buyers??
Message 26 of 45
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Oops. Noted op just bought a car. Should have read more carefully. My idea.might still give a small bump but not sure op wants another installment loan. One shouldn't listen to me anyway. I by no means am an expert on raising credit scores. That being said I could probably write a book on ways to LOWER your fico score. Think I'd get many buyers??

Still not a bad thought .  FICO tends to like two installment loans (sometimes 3).  Car and student loan or car and house.  When people don't have either one, it's usually recommended that they get two shared loans.  In OPs case, it would be just once shared loan.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 45
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
HI all. This thread does not apply to me so much as I am still in the building stages trying to get where most of you are at. Thought I would weigh in as this is where I hope to be in the next couple years for some ideas on how to get there. Right now stuck in the low 700's because of a bad financial situation about 5 yrs ago that is fixing to be gone in the next couple years. One thing I noticed when looking at the OP's profile was no installment loan. Do you have a mortgage, auto loan, or any other type of installment account? I thought types of credit played some role. If not wanting to be tied down by a major purchase now, could a person take that credit account 2it a balance and transfer it to some kind of personal bank note of the installment type instead of revolving debt and note a considerable bump as that would show more than one type of credit? Just wondered.

This thread does apply to you, just not yet.

You need to read between the lines and set yourself up as best you can so as soon as your baddies fall off your scores will skyrocket.

You should make sure that you have 5 to 8 of the best credit cards that you can get right now. This will start building your AAoA for the future. AAoA is one tough nut to crack. The only way to do it takes time! Lots of time!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 28 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

This fingerhut reporting to all the bureaus got my attention. I'm at 645 with a few loans but only one credit card on file. Would this really benefit me??
Message 29 of 45
joshall
Contributor

Yes, OP- you do have MANY open credit card accounts!

One question though, does the total credit limit affect the credit scores as well?

Say, Person A has 5 credit cards with a total of $100k credit limit, versus, Person B has 5 credit cards with a total of $50k limit. 

Who will have the higher creit scores if there are no other variables?

Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.