Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when do fico scores actually change?

tag
nycfico
Regular Contributor

when do fico scores actually change?

I was in the mid 400's about 5 years ago.  I now range from 670 to 685.  So I've seen a lot of movement.  

When I pay down my bills and have very low utilization , I generally see big upward swings.  When a baddie falls off, I see an impact.  When I got a tax lien placed two years ago, I saw a little bit of a fall.

But here is what I don't understand.    Why do I never see any change in FICO due simply to aging?  I have several cards that are simply reporting $0 each month right now.  None of them have large CL's, but still, they continue to build those beautiful green tradelines we all want.  When they report, and nothing else changes on my CR, why do I never get an alert that says my score has moved up...if even one point.  I certainly understand that just one month of aging is very often not going to have a significant impact.    But let's say in theory nothing changes for four more years, except that all but one of my cards keep reporting a $0 balance and I have a 5% utilization overall.  At some point that Fico score has to go up.  But why do we never see that?  Perhaps it has more to do with MYfico and how they report than the actual underlying score?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: when do fico scores actually change?

@nycfico wrote:

I was in the mid 400's about 5 years ago.  I now range from 670 to 685.  So I've seen a lot of movement.  

When I pay down my bills and have very low utilization , I generally see big upward swings.  When a baddie falls off, I see an impact.  When I got a tax lien placed two years ago, I saw a little bit of a fall.

But here is what I don't understand.    Why do I never see any change in FICO due simply to aging?  I have several cards that are simply reporting $0 each month right now.  None of them have had CL's, but still, they continue to build those beautiful green tradelines we all want.  When they report, and nothing else changes on my CR, why do I never get an alert that says my score has moved up...if even one point.  I certainly understand that just one month of aging is very often not going to have a significant impact.    But let's say in theory nothing changes for four more years, except that all but one of my cards keep reporting a $0 balance and I have a 5% utilization overall.  At some point that Fico score has to go up.  But why do we never see that?  Perhaps it has more to do with MYfico and how they report than the actual underlying score?

Because it's (mostly) not picked up by the monitoring solution as discrete and triggerable event.

It does happen, I managed to catch the AAOA 1->2 years transition (yay 4 points FICO 8 on my file) and 2->1 years through the before and after of one of my app sprees with explicitly one balance held fixed on my CC's and factoring out inquiry damage.

I may be able to catch the 3 year one shortly, I have one guarunteed application coming up (HELOC) and I might try pulling the trigger on the Chase Freedom Unlimited after I go across 3 years to try to go back and then get the following 2->3 year transition again since new accounts don't move my AAOA much and I might as well freeze my files during school anyway so isn't a big deal anyway.

Occasionally I will get a "Your Credit Score Changed" from Transunion that won't be tied to a specific triggered event; however, sometimes this has a mix of balance changes and other things in it so it's hard to isolate without new tradeline data and balance manipulation to compare before and after.

I'm not convinced there's any aging of individual tradelines in the algorithm from a seasoning perspective at this point, I just haven't seen it in all the data I've tracked but admittedly I've never gotten clean for 2 years straight which some people have theorized is a breakpoint.  Oldest account, AAOA, done in my anecdotal data anyway. 

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.