cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why would transunion score take a much harder hit than all other agencies??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

why would transunion score take a much harder hit than all other agencies??

General revenue corps added an account to my report. on all others bureaus I only took a smaller hit. On the Transunion report was dropped from 675 to 598. Experian was 625 to 618. Equifax was 622 to 621. What I noticed was when I was disputing it that not all of them listed a FDOD in 2011 or 2010. Is this typical for transunion?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: why would transunion score take a much harder hit than all other agencies??

Did you have any other negative/collection  items on TU?  

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

No other collections on transunion. So I really don't understand the major impact.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The first collection costs the most points and the last negative item to age off will give the most points back.

I had one medical collection for $150 on my report.  That single collection cost me 70+ points with each credit bureau.  The collection just aged off. Example:  Exp went from 682 to 751.  

I will never understand why scores tank over one single issue but that is how it is calculated.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The first collection costs the most points and the last negative item to age off will give the most points back.

I had one medical collection for $150 on my report.  That single collection cost me 70+ points with each credit bureau.  The collection just aged off. Example:  Exp went from 682 to 751.  

I will never understand why scores tank over one single issue but that is how it is calculated.

That is the first thing I don't understand. Why didnt every bureau react the way transunion did? TU is the only one that took a bad hit. Not sure what the difference is there.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the Equifax and Experian showed other negatives before this latest one was reported your scores were already suppressed and if TU was clean then it would show the biggest score drop.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because each credit reporting agency stores data a little differently, slight differences can push you a little over or under into different 'buckets'. Each 'bucket' has its own algorithm, because people in these categories present different levels of risk depending on the actions they take. 

Also, as other stated, it looks like something was suppressing your other scores already, so a 'new' collection would have less weight on an already dirty report than a clean one.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
No other collections on transunion. So I really don't understand the major impact.

What about other negative items that are not collections?

Do you have other negative items on the other 2 bureaus?

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My TU score is always the lowest and always takes the hardest hit on everything. I have a friend who complains of the same thing. We have always wondered why.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My TU score is always the lowest and always takes the hardest hit on everything. I have a friend who complains of the same thing. We have always wondered why.

It's all profile-specific.  For every duo like you and your friend, there's someone else and their friend that will say the same exact statement about EX or EQ because with thier profiles for whatever reason their scores are more volatile with those bureaus.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.