Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deleted bankruptcy

How much does your score improve after a bankruptcy is off your credit report?
Message 1 of 105
104 REPLIES 104
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Deleted bankruptcy

Good Question!  I'd like to know this too!
Message 2 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't. After your BK is removed you are grouped with others who haven't filed BK, so your FICO will go down. The sooner you started rebuilding credit after your discharge, the softer the blow.
Message 3 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

FaircreditguyFL -

Won't it improve at all?  If you have re-established credit after your discharge, and the 7 years ticks by and finally the BK drops off, surely your scores will improve, as you won't be showing a "serious delinquency or collection or public record."  Doesn't that make sense?  Or am I missing something?
Message 4 of 105
George2037
Regular Contributor

laurenjane wrote:
FaircreditguyFL -

Won't it improve at all?  If you have re-established credit after your discharge, and the 7 years ticks by and finally the BK drops off, surely your scores will improve, as you won't be showing a "serious delinquency or collection or public record."  Doesn't that make sense?  Or am I missing something?

Public records in general don't effect your score after 2 years.  It would be safe to say that a BK would be in the same catagory.  Basicly FICO see's a public record's closing date, it doesn't get into specifics on what it's for or how much it was for, just that is was settled/ closed on xx/xx date.

The part to look forward to is once the BK falls off, the unfriendly BK lenders will be freindly to you once again.....
Message 5 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

It goes down........
Message 6 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any thoughts on why it would go down?  If anything, it'd seem as though it'd stay the same.   Very strange for it to go down, but then again, maybe it's one of the mysteries of credit reporting...
Message 7 of 105
a0034d
New Contributor

that stinks... Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

That doesn't seem right...  It should go up... 
Has anyone pulled their credit right after a BK was removed from their credit report who can verify this?
Message 9 of 105
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Poster is right, after BK comes off you go down.  Right now your score is simulated based on how you perform compared to others that have filed BK.  When BK drops off, you are put back into that group of people that have NEVER filed bk and never have been late and all that stuff.  Most likely your file isn't going to be quite as strong as theres especially if you have not been rebuilding.
Message 10 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

It would seem though that any accounts you had with lates or collections "included in the BK" would fall off the same time (or most likely earlier) than the BK, so therefore, you wouldn't have any lates or public records showing (as long as you didn't have any after the BK filing as you were rebuilding credit).  So technically, your score shouldn't go down -- if you were then put on a level playing field with others with no BKs or public records or lates, right?  This is assuming during the time between discharge and the BK dropping off you've re-established credit, increasing credit limits over time, keeping balances at a reasonable utilization, maybe taken out a car loan or mortgage, etc.

My Ch. 13 BK was just discharged 2/08 (filed 10/04), but during the BK, I re-established credit with a student loan, two unsecured loans with Prosper (installment), a Dell account and an unsecured Household Bank account (revolving) that is now up to $1000 limit (started at $300).  My car is paid off, so no auto loan yet, and I am looking at a mortgage hopefully in about 6 months.  I also have a credit union LOC for $1000 and an Orchard Bank visa ($750 limit).  I am hoping to increase the LOC and credit cards within 6 mos (hoping to have mid score over 700).  I have no lates.  All negative info is from BK or accounts included in BK.

I guess my question is that once my BK falls off in 10/2011 (another long 3+ years Smiley Sad), if I've "kept my nose clean" from now until then, how can my score go down?  I appreciate any thoughts...

EXP       623  3/25/08
EQFX    616  3/25/08
TU         564  3/25/08
Message 11 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

laurenjane wrote:
Hi everyone,

It would seem though that any accounts you had with lates or collections "included in the BK" would fall off the same time (or most likely earlier) than the BK, so therefore, you wouldn't have any lates or public records showing (as long as you didn't have any after the BK filing as you were rebuilding credit).  So technically, your score shouldn't go down -- if you were then put on a level playing field with others with no BKs or public records or lates, right?  This is assuming during the time between discharge and the BK dropping off you've re-established credit, increasing credit limits over time, keeping balances at a reasonable utilization, maybe taken out a car loan or mortgage, etc.

My Ch. 13 BK was just discharged 2/08 (filed 10/04), but during the BK, I re-established credit with a student loan, two unsecured loans with Prosper (installment), a Dell account and an unsecured Household Bank account (revolving) that is now up to $1000 limit (started at $300).  My car is paid off, so no auto loan yet, and I am looking at a mortgage hopefully in about 6 months.  I also have a credit union LOC for $1000 and an Orchard Bank visa ($750 limit).  I am hoping to increase the LOC and credit cards within 6 mos (hoping to have mid score over 700).  I have no lates.  All negative info is from BK or accounts included in BK.

I guess my question is that once my BK falls off in 10/2011 (another long 3+ years Smiley Sad), if I've "kept my nose clean" from now until then, how can my score go down?  I appreciate any thoughts...

EXP       623  3/25/08
EQFX    616  3/25/08
TU         564  3/25/08

Exactly what I did ... CH-13 filed 2000... discharged 2003.  When BK and all derogs included with it fell off last Sept my score went up 80 points to 777.  It now stands 6 months later at 800 on EQ, 793 EX, and 787 TU. 
I didn't need but a couple CC's, my mortgage, my HELOC, and a very brief car loan to accomplish this. And of course paying on time all the time between then and now.  I also only applied for credit that I actually needed and used.  I'm a firm believer in the KISS method.    Smiley Wink                                             
Message 12 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

kimmerzz -

How old is your oldest tradeline and about what is your avg. age?   Those scores are great and I am wondering how old your credit is...............
Message 13 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

laurenjane - Everything you said sounds good.  Except I hear that EQ does not remove ANY bk's prior to 10 years, including chapter 13's.......just thought I'd let you know.
Message 14 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Boscoe wrote:
kimmerzz -

How old is your oldest tradeline and about what is your avg. age?   Those scores are great and I am wondering how old your credit is...............

I got lucky with my oldest TL... it's a line of credit attached to my checking account that I opened 17 yrs ago and still going strong, which they faithfully report every month. CU's are great!  My average age of accounts is 7yrs.  I had 1 CC from 93 that remained after filing which started out at 3500 and is now over 10k.  I accepted an offer from Cap1 for a 7500 CC in 03 (after reading about them here I can't believe it was for that amount)  Bought a car in 04 and paid it off 6 months later. In 05 I did a cashout refinance at 5.25%.  In 06 I opened a HELOC.  After everything did drop off, I did accept a pre approved from Chase and received a 14k CC.  I don't need a lotta cards... too much hassle.  Basically I did just fine with those 2 cards I had for those 7 years.   But it was nice when all that trash dropped off!   Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Boscoe,

I wasn't really counting on anyone removing them prior to the 10 year mark -- although my Ch. 13 should be 7 years from the filing date, isn't that correct?  So it should fall off about 10/2011?  That's kinda frustrating if EQ leaves it on there another 3 years....
Message 16 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have heard this, but you may want to call EQ and ask yourself....the other option is to dispute it one month after it goes 7 years.....
Message 17 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your scores will go down. For those in the back row, YOUR SCORES WILL GO DOWN!
Message 18 of 105
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

The reason why one's scores might go down is b/c you will be rebucketed. The good news is that your scores should recover relatively quickly (provided you have established credit in the meantime), like a few months or even less in some instances.

BK7 lasts for 10 years (also BK11, BK 12). BK13 lasts for seven years, unless it was dismissed, then it lasts for 10 years.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

My bankruptcy is off this May 2008.  My score has ranged between 600-694 the past two years.  As long as your payments are made on time and you try to make over the minimum, your score will increase.  I have not had one late payment or missed a payment in over 10 years.  I am positive that once my bankruptcy is off next month that my score will go even higher! The only reason it's not higher right now is because I have too many cards open.  I plan on paying off over half of them over the next 6 months. 
Message 20 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

FaircreditguyFL,

How do you explain Kimmerz experience?  Scores went up.  It can't be a hard and fast "scores will go down for sure" edict.  I think it all depends upon what you've accomplished within the time between filing and the BK falling off.  It just makes sense. 
Message 21 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Valleyfever,

I'd love it if you'd share your experience once the BK falls off, and you've checked your scores.  Keep us posted! 
Message 22 of 105
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Valley, please don't close the cards, unless they are just bad cards to have (ie. AFs, MFs, etc). Just don't let half or more of your cards to reflect a balance and keep overall and individual uti b/w 1-9% and you will see a nice score bump now.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Look up the Fair Credit Reporting Act on google or another search engine. It says exactly how long it is for a Ch. 13, can't remember myself if its 10 or 7.
Message 24 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would think that what happens to your score when you are "rebucketed" would depend on your credit history both before and after the BK.  If you had strong history before and rebuilt after, then the elimination of the BK and all the accounts that went with it would almost HAVE to increase your score.  It would be as if those accounts never existed...
Message 25 of 105
Guardian
Valued Contributor

I am new to posting in the forums so I don't want to step on any toes but the sentiment of "people in the back row" is very condescending and helps no one. The fact is that there is no hard set rule about if it goes up or down. The fact is that the length of your oldest credit notation makes a difference and how many accounts you have in good standing and what your debt ratio is.

So for someone like myself, when I got my bankruptcy off my credit report (in 4 years) my score went from 662 to 725 but that is not to say that it will do that for everyone. I also have a 17+ year history on my report and I have no other negative items against me. The only reason it didn't go higher was that I have student loans in deferment that mess with my ratio. But 725 is nothing to sneeze at and I will take that for now over being turned down simply because my bankruptcy would show up. Even if it doesn't count against you in the score after 2 years, companies are likely to consider it just the same.

Try a few simple things to your best ability and you should be fine. 1) try as quickly as possible to rebuild your credit, 2) do not close good standing accounts, especially the longer you have had them the more they will help you, 3) don't make the mistake of using cash only as no activity will hurt you more, 4) try to get as many of the negative notations off your report as soon as possible, 5) don't use consolidation services and if you use services to remove your negative stuff be careful as they are not all the same, with a little patience you can do it yourself, 6) don't request too many credits in a short time, they will hurt you bad, especially if you are declined and even if you are not, finally) pay down as much as you can as fast as you can and keep your balances low, it takes more than 30 days for them to report your lower balance to the credit agencies and this means you ratio will continue to show high.

good luck everyone.

Message Edited by Guardian on 04-23-2008 03:03 PM

Message Edited by Guardian on 04-23-2008 03:08 PM

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 26 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi just thought Id chime in. I filed BK in 1999 and it still shows on my credit reports. I was under the impression it was to fall off after 7yrs but here I am 9 yrs later and its still there =(. So one more year to go for me.
Message 27 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

It takes 10 years for a bankruptcy to come off your credit report, not 7. If you have been building your credit and your score is good, the score goes up after the bk is removed from your report. Mine increased dramatically the month after the bk was removed. Not sure where this other info is coming from, but this is what happened to me. Score went from 732 to 797 and now four months later is at 813.
Message 28 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

My BK just went my record after 10 years and my FICO jumped 80 points.
Message 29 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

just keep ur balances down especially on the cc like 20-30 % of the credit limit
and u see a huge increase
Message 30 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

To Guardian...
I also have $100,000+ student loans in deferment and my score just hit 851
Message 31 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

thats not true for they will
Message 32 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

just keep the balance on them between 20-30% of the credit limit and they will be fine
Message 33 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

you are very correct
Message 34 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

i totally agree with you
Message 35 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

In spite of what others may tell you online, your score does not automatically go down once your bankruptcy drops off. That isnt to say that it can't happen. But it can, in fact, go up. It really depends on how you have treated credit since your bankruptcy. Although it is true that when the bankruptcy was on your record, you were being compared to others that had a bankruptcy, and now you are being compared with those who don't, (its called a scorecard) if you have rebuilt correctly and managed yourself well, once you are moved to a non-bankruptcy scorecard, you may still fair well against the non-bankruptcy crowd. While I was waiting for my bankruptcy to drop off, I read several books on credit use. I followed the advice for several years, and when my bankruptcy dropped off, my score actually jumped from 706 to 786. <Thats 80 points> So anyone that tells you that it only goes down are simply incorrect.
Message 36 of 105
tnbumblebee

I believe the people that say your score will go down are from people in bankruptcy that havent applied or got new credit and that makes sense that their score would go down. But people that have been discharged and applied and got credit will see a score increase. My situation , 1 month after ch. 13 discharge i applied and got a home loan with a 580 credit score. Sure it was a sub prime loan but since 8/2006 that i got mortgage my score has gone up 100 points to 680. My bankruptcy ..ch 13 discharged comes off my report in 3 months so i should see a pretty good rise. Im guessing around 40 points or more. Bankruptcy does stay on your report for 10 years if its a ch 7 or its a ch 13 that was dismissed instead of discharged. Ch 13 discharged stays on your credit report 7 years from date filed. Ive talked to all 3 credit agencies and thats what they tell me. Fiocs EQ 670 Ex 683 Tr 690 4-10-08

Message Edited by tnbumblebee on 04-23-2008 08:05 PM
Message 37 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eric
That is identical to my story...
I managed my credit extremely well for the last 10 years & my score increased exactly 80 points the day my BK was dropped.
Message 38 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats awesome!! What freedom that is when you see that boost!!  I now continuously get credit offers wherever I go....  A tip for those of you who have ever been turned down for credit in the past, yet are now being courted to take on credit....  a nicely worded rejection letter to them might assist in your amusement...  "Thank you for applying with Eric....  However, at this time, I am sorry to say that I will not be accepting your offer. If you would like a list of reasons, please send a written request with your signature to the following address...." 

Big fun, I promise.

Smiley Happy
Message 39 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree!
10 years was a long time, but now I "toy" with the credit offers that I receive and it is amazing to realize that these BIG credit companies will bow down to my requestsSmiley Very Happy
Best of luck in your credit future!
Message 40 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep seeing the words "credit score" in this forum when what I think you mean is your FICO score (VERY different).  Each credit reporting agency "scores" differently.  FICO uses all three credit reporting agencies' data and scores range from 300 to 850.  I strongly recommend you read this:

Also, someone in this forum said that paying cash is the worst thing you can do!  I have lived on a cash basis for 7 years now and find it INCREDIBLY liberating.  Each time one of my collection accounts dropped off my credit report, my score went up.  I haven't used credit at ALL and I'm now considering buying a house at the beginning of next year when everything negative is off my credit report and I've saved a little more money.

Over the last year, I have applied for and received a gas card, a furniture store card, and two department store cards.  (My credit history is 33 years.)   I will apply for a major credit card as soon as I find one that doesn't charge an arm and a leg just for HAVING it.  I have no intention of charging anything on any of these cards unless I already have the money to pay it off (just a stupid exercise to decrease my debt-to-credit ratio and increase my available credit, which in turn, increases your FICO score!)

If you can possibly do it, I HIGHLY recommend going 'cardless'.  I realize that many people are in dire straights right now and NEED the help their credit cards can give them, but if at all possible, DON'T get caught up in it!  I kinda took a Mary Poppins approach to spending and decided to make a game out of not spending.  I LOOK for ways NOT to spend money.  You'd be surprised how much you can do without and NOT change your lifestyle!  Save your credit for a BIG purchase (like a house) and use cash whenever possible.  Learn the difference between a NEED and a WANT (I do not NEED a new address book.  I WANT a new address book.)  What I need is DRAMATICALLY different than what I want!

Remember that your possessions do not define who you are.  It's what's INSIDE that counts.  You can't buy that with or without a credit card!

Cheers,
Laurel
Message 41 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only somebody who has never had a bankruptcy come of their report would tell you that your score does not improve or that it even goes down. Hhaving ANY public record on your credit report negatively affects your FICO score. Period. Once removed, your score will go up. How much will depend on what and how many steps you have taken to improve your credit, e.g. New trade lines, etc.
Message 42 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

What 7 years it's 10 years the report stays on your credit file, unless it's a chapter 11. Mine is going to come off in another year but it has been 9 years so far.. I have repaired my file so it should look good with others by that time as well.
Message 43 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just joining. There has been some interesting commments made about whether BK comes off in 7 or 10 yrs.  The FCRA (fair credit reporting act) sets the time period negative information can remain on your credit report.  The law allows a bankruptcy filing or an unpaid IRS tax lien to remain on your crdit report for 10 yrs.  A Chapter 13 can stay for only 7 yrs.  Other negative info becomes obsolete after 7 yrs and must, at request, be removed.  I got my info from th book "Great credit ...Guaranteed!  Improve you credit in only 90 days...or your money back!" 2007 by Arny Gold. Please get this book it will help tremendously!!!!
Message 44 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, my bankruptcy just hit the 7-year mark a few weeks ago and my score went up a couple of points (to 704) on Equifax. I haven't checked the other two scores, but I've been a careful credit user since the BK. On that subject, any comments on relying on only one credit reported instead of taking the high cost of using all three?
Message 45 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please forgive me if I mis-typed. Yes, I am aware that a FICO score is difference than a credit score. So to re-state what happened to me after my bankruptcy dropped off my record, my FICO score jumped 80 points. Yes, my FICO score.

My point still stands....   Bankruptcies dropping off can raise your FICO score. (And most likely WILL)

Message 46 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Double Check your state laws and the terms of your Bankruptcy settlement. Some BK can stay on for up to 10 years from the closing date. BK's totally different from revolving accounts--its closer to a judgment and is totally controlled by its own set of laws. Good Luck!
Message 47 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

MY BK TOOK 10 YEARS TO COME OFF,IT DID NOT MAKE MY SCORE GO UP,NEVER BEEN LATE ON ANY BILLS IN 10 YEARS,
Message 48 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello forum  members I am Chance1025 but call me Chance, everybody does, I hope WHO ever shares this name does not mind, if so, by all means call me Chance 1025.
 I don't want to dispute what anyone else has said but my personal experience is different. I might also preference this with changing of the Bankruptcy laws. I filed in 1989, I maintain and kept an existing account that was excluded and only penalized me with restricted loan amount but my financial institution did finance a car. I repaired my credit by 1998 the restoration was well on it's way to full repair. By 2002  my score it was 700 but Jacobson closed all it's outlets  in teh state I live and  put  a surrogate in place to collect the rest of the debt, I moved in the process and it took the company a couple of months to catch up to me  and I paid off the balance immediately following.. That drop my score by 50 points but I didn't find out until three years later and it was to late to challenge.I now have a score of 727 and after I pay off a couple more obligations  it will be in the excellent range. Just an personal account, true story.
Message 49 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is something I am going to do!
Message 50 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.