cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got an alert from myFico, that my phone number and name were on the black market

tag
Tomatoshadow2
New Contributor

Got an alert from myFico, that my phone number and name were on the black market

Hi everyone,

I got a notice from here, that my phone number and name were on the black market. I checked my Password Manager, no logins compromised and I was able to verify here it was only my phone number and name that was in the alert. What does everyone reccomend? Never had anything like this before, just want to make sure, I'm on top of this and protecting my information.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Got an alert from myFico, that my phone number and name were on the black market

Unfortunately, there's really nothing you can do other than change your name and number. That info is public information anyways and can be easily had legally. 

Message 2 of 9
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Got an alert from myFico, that my phone number and name were on the black market

I have BM alerts too -- first received in 2017 and I get alerted every now and then to some new info found (usually old email addresses - and their associated passwords - that i've either stopped using/deleted or only currently use for signups at miscellaneous sites requiring an email).   I have yet to experience any fraudulant activity though. 

Every 6 months and if/when alerted, I change my bank/credit passwords - make them as difficult as possible; I have 2-factor authentication set for all of my accounts that offer it; And I make sure antivirus software is active and up-to-date.  Also - if any of your credit issuers offer the use of temporary card numbers for online shopping - you can use those instead of your actual card numbers when shopping online, just for the added protection. I also keep my credit reports locked at all times unless I'm applying for something - a freeze is better though since it has the backing of the law in case new credit fraud does somehow occur with your reports frozen. 

Really, it just comes down to being hyper-vigilant with your financial accounts -- I check my accounts daily and it's really quick and easy to do so with everything having a mobile app nowadays.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 9
Tomatoshadow2
New Contributor

Thanks to the both, yes haven't seen anything suspicous on any accounts or calls or texts, so what you guys provided, brings some peace of mind, Also phone numbers are public? Did not know this. thanks!

Message 4 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Tomatoshadow2 wrote:

Thanks to the both, yes haven't seen anything suspicous on any accounts or calls or texts, so what you guys provided, brings some peace of mind, Also phone numbers are public? Did not know this. thanks!

You can request a private number, but as soon as you put it down on an application, it's out there. When I was a skiptracer, one of the first checks was the bureaus. EQ and LexisNexis were the best because they would provide you with all sorts of variations of a person's name and phone number, including typos.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently got "black market" alerts for both hubbie & me... same alert as a few years before... on the same date. Just names & home phone number. No idea who, what, why. I do wonder, but have never seen a problem arise from it. I do change PWs fairly often, just in case.

btw, if you think we are wierd for having a home phone... we keep it for family we don't usually want to talk to so they can leave messages, iphones are for people we do want to talk to. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 9
Tomatoshadow2
New Contributor

Interesting, yeah shouldn't of put on a media site, going to see if I can remove it from that site, but its already out there and yes those are good tools.

Message 7 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Tomatoshadow2 wrote:

Interesting, yeah shouldn't of put on a media site, going to see if I can remove it from that site, but its already out there and yes those are good tools.

I meant a credit application. Doesn't matter how off the grid you keep your phone number, everyone puts it down for a credit app, and all of the credit bureaus sell that info, which is why they were one of my first stops when looking for someone. It's also helped me find where someone was currently working.

As for media sites, that's probably how it got on the black market. Good ole Facebook is a treasure chest of personal info for hunting someone down.

Message 8 of 9
Tomatoshadow2
New Contributor

Yes, can be frustrating, as I've never known my phone number or name to be leaked.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.