Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying vs Leasing a Tesla for Business. Questions

tag
Bogey1975
Contributor

Buying vs Leasing a Tesla for Business. Questions

I'm debating buying vs leasing a Tesla for my busines. I'm leaning to leasing but have some questions for those that have done it. 

Can you deduct the electricity and supercharing costs when using the cost approch?

I'm 100% sure I will be going over the alloted lease mileage, by 12000 to 13000 miles, can you deduct the over mileage fee at the end of the lease?

Does anyone know how much per mile Tesla charges once over the mileage in the lease agreement? I'm thinking that fee will be nothing compared to going with the mileage method for taxes especially if I can deduct that over mileage expense.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Buying vs Leasing a Tesla for Business. Questions

Tesla leases are terrible. Better off financing and writing off interest + depreciation. 

Message 2 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Is your business going to own / lease the vehicle or will you do this personally?   The amount / deductibilty as a business expense would depend on this along with any personal use of the vehicle. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 5
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

Tesla leases are terrible. Better off financing and writing off interest + depreciation. 

The main reason people don't like leasing Teslas is that you can't purchase them at the end of the lease. They have to go back to Tesla instead.

That may be okay with you, since your business may not want to own cars but just keep leasing them. If you're using the vehicle for business, then you should be able to write off any costs (including excess mileage) as business expenses.

Message 4 of 5
Bogey1975
Contributor

Tesla allows you to buy the Model S and X at the end of the lease. The don't allow you to for the 3 and the Y as there were using those lease returns for testing auto drive. 

This car will be 100% business as we have other personal cars that we can show.

We will most likey turn in the car unless the value is higher the residual value. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.