cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPs for those debating Citi DC (I was denied)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DPs for those debating Citi DC (I was denied)

On the heels of a pretty good few days of credit, I decided to reach on one more app, for Citi DC. I was declined and wasn't really surprised, but thought I would share the relevant factors that went into it, in the hopes that it can help anyone else who is wondering and in a similar credit situation.

First off, relevant profile factors at the time of application (5/7/2020):

• EX F8 699, INQ 1/6, 5/12

• EQ F8 673 INQ 0/6, 4/12

• TU F8 693, INQ 0/6, 2/12

• Aggregate Reported Util 19.xx% on a TCL of $56,050
• AAoA 2 years 7 months

• AoOA 13y6m

• AoYRA 7 months

• Zero lates, zero missed payments

• Most recent opened card was 5/6/2020 (obviously not yet reporting)

Citi is known to use a double pull on EX and EQ here in NY, which they did for me. They use Bankcard 8 scores for approval. I don't know the EX score unfortunately as I initially pulled scores a month ago and at the time, for comparison, my EX F8 was 651 and EX B8 was 631, while EQ B8 was 612 last month. The bankcard score rose with my F8 score on EQ, to a quoted 664 (in the decline letter) throughout the month as I paid off a lot of debt and the UTI improvements increased my scores. At the beginning of April I had balances on 14 of 15 revolvers and one charge card, and aggregate util of 39.xx%. I had balances on 6 revolvers and one charge card, with ten cards at $0, when I apped.

Result was a decline, citing their weighting of my EQ score, which was affected by the presence of two derogs (both are old and paid - one falls off 11/2020 and the other falls 4/2021) as well as the length of time my accounts have been established (all but two of my cards are new as of 2/2018 or newer).

In order of appearance, my fail reasons were:

• Presence of derogs

• Length of time accounts were established

• Time since most recent account opened was too short

• Too many inquiries in the last 12 months

Now I went into this knowing Citi was picky and conservative and being real, I didn't think my odds were great. But I got other cards with a far less than optimal profile than many (such as Amex BCP at 656EX F8) and with fairly low inquiries, taking a pull or two wouldn't be devastating as I have no further plans to app for the near future, and since I've never had a prequal with Citi, I figured this would put me on their radar so that as I continue to improve, a prequal or mail offer may pop up in the future (I will wait for one of those two before apping again). In all, it was worth trying to see where I stood and what I'd need to fix.

It was interesting to me that they cited inquiries in the last 12 months, since what I typically read about was their 6/6 rule and that six months was the main timeframe they considered. Also, even though old and long paid, simply having derogs present on the reports (two on EQ, one on EX) was also enough to sway them. It's possible that if I didn't have the derogs, they'd overlook the inquiries from 7-12 months back, or if I had zero or one inquiry in 12 months, maybe the adjusted score on EQ would be buoyed up enough by what I would assume is a higher EX B8 score for approval, or that maybe account age would have been less of a factor. It's obvious they take the whole picture into consideration and the aggregate of my factors led to the denial.

Anyhow, that's the details of my declined Citi DC cold app. Hopefully it'll help someone else assess their own profile to decide if maybe they have a good enough shot to get it or if they're better off waiting.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Re: DPs for those debating Citi DC (I was denied)

Sorry for your denial, but thanks a lot for sharing such comprehensive DPs.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very welcome. It's worth laying out the info in the name of DPs for the future. I'd definitely be interested to hear if there is anyone out there who was denied before Covid-19 became a thing, to see if their denial is based on more stringent underwriting now, or if they're always this exacting. I know Citi is pretty strict on first cards but I wonder if this sounds historically normal or if it represents a tightening...

Message 3 of 26
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

My biggest beef with both this and the Approvals forum is a lack of this sort of data sharing.  Many people have imperfect credit, so trying to really get a handle on where each FI's line in the sand is a valuable thing IMO.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 4 of 26
AllZero
Mega Contributor

That is unfortunate. Thank you for sharing the data points!

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllZero wrote:

That is unfortunate. Thank you for sharing the data points!

It's not a huge deal on the denial really, in the grand scheme. I've had a great run of approvals and this one was always going to be a long shot with where my profile is currently. But now I know roughly where I stand and the next time it'll be more strategic. Welcome on the DPs too Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 26
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous, Sorry for your denial, have you thought about recon?

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've weighed it and might do that @M_Smart007 although I don't really know on what grounds I'd recon it, based on their denial reasons. 

Message 8 of 26
Mv350
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your DP's @Anonymous! I keep trying my hand at Citi's Costco card, their reasons are always too many INQ's and derogs, every time I clean up a negative, I try again. I always call in for recon. Most recently applied 1/2020 after a negative went away, and 3/2020 which left me with my last medical collection for 2014. Both times said it was because of that final negative. 

Citi seems to absolutely dislike negatives. I will try again after the negative falls off, which would put me at an estimated 2/6 INQ's but a littered report of INQ's and new accounts in the last 24

Solid info!!!

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mv350 Thank you for adding your experiences on here - looks like you're seeing similar reason codes as I am. I know I won't app the card again until my derogs fall off. I thought about it and even if I get a prequal, I think I'll wait. Yeah it could still be denied but even if approved, I'm betting it would be $2000 or so if the derogs are still there. With them gone it may be a good bit more substantial. Worth waiting on until the reports are clean I think.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.