Did you mean: 

Amex BCP vs BCE 2022

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex BCP vs BCE 2022

@Who_wuda_thought wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What happened to BCE sub, 2k spend and only 100 back? That's like PenFed Powercash level, not enticing at all.

Sure UP TO 150 using PayPal in 6 months but what if one doesn't use it anyway, I only use it for Starbucks and CFF has 5% now on it, Disco CB had it last quarter.

I was thinking of getting BCE for gas and supermarket 3%, but since this disaster of a SUB lol..

@OrangeRange wrote:

I saw that when I was logging in yesterday too. They also dropped SUBs for Vanilla Platinum, Gold, and BCP (now just $250). Guess Amex is tightening up a bit now. 

@OrangeRange @Anonymous 

Yes, yesterday AMEX cut the SUB on the public page for the BCP also!  Just previously was $300/$3k spend/6 mos.  Now showing $250/$3k spend/6 mos.

I FORTUNATELY app'd/was approved early yesterday for BCP before it was changed!  This is my first Amex card, btw.

I have BofA CCR I use for online shopping, so that newer benefit of the BCE isn't a big draw for me at the moment.  I went with BCP to get foot in the Amex door, and will reevaluate when waived AF comes to an end next year.

Wow u have similar DPs to me, albeit getting the first card a year early. How FNBO?! Smiley Surprised Monster CLI! 👍  We both were QUITE busy getting cards 😂

Message 31 of 38
OrangeRange
Regular Contributor

@Who_wuda_thought wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What happened to BCE sub, 2k spend and only 100 back? That's like PenFed Powercash level, not enticing at all.

Sure UP TO 150 using PayPal in 6 months but what if one doesn't use it anyway, I only use it for Starbucks and CFF has 5% now on it, Disco CB had it last quarter.

I was thinking of getting BCE for gas and supermarket 3%, but since this disaster of a SUB lol..

@OrangeRange wrote:

I saw that when I was logging in yesterday too. They also dropped SUBs for Vanilla Platinum, Gold, and BCP (now just $250). Guess Amex is tightening up a bit now. 

@OrangeRange @Anonymous 

Yes, yesterday AMEX cut the SUB on the public page for the BCP also!  Just previously was $300/$3k spend/6 mos.  Now showing $250/$3k spend/6 mos.

I FORTUNATELY app'd/was approved early yesterday for BCP before it was changed!  This is my first Amex card, btw.

I have BofA CCR I use for online shopping, so that newer benefit of the BCE isn't a big draw for me at the moment.  I went with BCP to get foot in the Amex door, and will reevaluate when waived AF comes to an end next year.

This is my second Amex revolver. I opened my first because I just wanted an Amex that reported utilization and I like Amex's soft pulls and frequent CLI capabilities. I just got BCP myself this week so good timing. I plan on moving my limit from my first revolver entirely to BCP, closing that down, and then downgrading BCP to BCE after year one when the AF finally hits. I'll use it as my gas and online purchases card as I already have Gold so it's my go-to food card. I couldn't say no to a no AF first year and 0% intro APR for 12 months. Smiley LOL

As of Apr 2024: 1/6 | 5/12 | 6/24
Amex: Gold, Green, BCE, Hilton Surpass
Chase: Sapphire Preferred, Freedom Unlimited | Citi: AA Platinum Select
Barclays: Aviator Red | GS: Apple Card | Paypal Credit
USAA: Rewards Amex | Wells Fargo: Active Cash
Message 32 of 38
Who_wuda_thought
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow u have similar DPs to me, albeit getting the first card a year early. How FNBO?! Smiley Surprised Monster CLI! 👍  We both were QUITE busy getting cards 😂

Yeah, we both made our garden escapes about the same time too! 😁

I am pretty happy with what I have for now, I think.  Re: FNBO, CLI's were $2500 @6 mos, $5k @ 10 mos. so that was pretty great.  Love the card and the customer service.  Wondering when/if I'll join the recent throng of those getting CLD's, however 😕.  That's kinda one of the reasons I decided to go ahead and grab a few other cards on my radar this weekend.

Scores as of April 4, 2024:

Message 33 of 38
Who_wuda_thought
Frequent Contributor

@OrangeRange 

@OrangeRange wrote:

I couldn't say no to a no AF first year and 0% intro APR for 12 months. Smiley LOL

Indeed! 

Welcome to MyFico, btw 💰💰. 😊

Scores as of April 4, 2024:

Message 34 of 38
Gollum
Established Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

I recently got a SUB offer to upgrade BCE to BCP ($75 after spending 1k/3month). Based on recent changes in their reward categories, it looks like BCE can be more interesting (unless having lots of groceries). Here are the comparisons:

• BCE: AF=0, groceries~3% (6k cap), online retail~3%, Homechef~15$/m, Disney+ bundle~7$/m.
  • BCP: AF=$95, groceries~6% (6k cap), stream~6%, Disney+ bundle~7$/m.

What do you think? Not sure why BCE has more rewarding categories. The PC can be eniticing if the SUB can waive the AF (I may call them to see whether it is feasible). For online retail stores, I have BOA CCR and Cash+. Not a fan of Disney+ (have 6 months for free on Amex HH). Homechef foods are very salty Smiley Happy and I discontinue it after completing the 3 month trial offer.   

I like Internet calculators that use monthly spend to compare BCE (American Express Blue Cash Everyday) to BCP (American Express Blue Cash Preferred). Do an Internet search or two.

BTW, the tilde symbol "~" means "approximately."

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian May 2024, 844 TransUnion April 2024 | (FICO 9) 846 Equifax May 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 35 of 38
isik
Regular Contributor

When I applied for BCP, the SUB was $400 after 3k in 6mo.

Personal:

Business:

FICO 8:
Message 36 of 38
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@isik wrote:

Dang that's even better than mine!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 37 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@isik wrote:

Dang that's even better than mine!

When I was somewhat new to credit, I used a link not meant for me and didn't get any SUB on BCE.

...but I've since gotten three upgrade bonuses on that same account, and hope for a fourth in 2023 after I downgrade in a month or two.

*I just checked and the AF hit in my current statement, after having been waived for 12 months. So I'm back to BCE!

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.