cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Member Since

tag
Samster12

Amex Member Since

Hey everyone. Long time no see after gardening for several years. I crossed into the 800 club this year. Anyway, I applied for and just received my new Amex Gold card. My first Amex card was the BCP and has a member since 2017 on the card. My new one says 2023. Tell me, would you guys just leave it or request a new card? I'm thinking about just leaving it, maybe a future card will have the correct date, but I'm not going to lie I wish it was correct.  

TU 756 EX 730 EQ 775
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Member Since

It has no impact on anything except your feelings.  No one cares what the year is on the card, merchants don't care.  I've been a member continously since 1980 and have never had any merchant comment on the date.  Unless it really bugs you, just leave it.

Message 2 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

It has no impact on anything except your feelings.  No one cares what the year is on the card, merchants don't care.  I've been a member continously since 1980 and have never had any merchant comment on the date.  Unless it really bugs you, just leave it.

This, but it seems to be a minority view.  I don't see this discussed for other issuers so I wonder if it is a hangover from backdating or because Amex does it differently.

I just checked my 4 Chase cards.   Three different member since dates (from the time I got the underlying card?) and the oldest doesn't have a member since date.  Similarly Citi seems to be card specific and not from when I got my first Citi card.

But, as you say, almost no-one cares, especially when you mainly use mobile pay and no-one sees the card!

Message 3 of 24
Samster12

My feelings? Sheesh. Yeah, I don't really care about how others view it. It's more a "for me" thing and having both cards the same. It's just a nice little detail that some CCC add. But, I know at the end of the day it doesn't matter. 

TU 756 EX 730 EQ 775
Message 4 of 24
coldworld
Regular Contributor

@Samster12 wrote:

Hey everyone. Long time no see after gardening for several years. I crossed into the 800 club this year. Anyway, I applied for and just received my new Amex Gold card. My first Amex card was the BCP and has a member since 2017 on the card. My new one says 2023. Tell me, would you guys just leave it or request a new card? I'm thinking about just leaving it, maybe a future card will have the correct date, but I'm not going to lie I wish it was correct.  

Just recently had a similar situation with my Platnium card. The member date on my other cards was "05", but my platinum card read "23". I chatted with customer service, and the apologized for the printing error and next-day air'd a new one to me. I started to feel bad then I remebered I pay a $695 annual fee. 

3B Scores 03/2024

----

Message 5 of 24
Rogue46
Established Contributor

This has been discussed a few times before, Some people like the member since xx on the card others don't care. Personally I almost exclusively use apple pay so nobody sees the card anyway. It is however nice to hear when I call in "Thank you for being a card member since 2005" I know it doesn't mean anything but that's just me.

Message 6 of 24
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

It's obviously bugging you so get on the blower and have them issue you a new gold card.  It's not going to cost you anything and then you will have everything copasetic.

Message 7 of 24
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

The replacement card will have the original member date. If you're impatient you can call in or even order a replacement online. 

Message 8 of 24
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

I would call. Even if it means nothing, if it meant something to me, I'd call.

I got my first Amex card in 2004. I filed 13 in April 2017, and IIB Amex. Like clockwork, I was approved for my first post BK Amex card 61 months after filing, followed shortly by several more Amex cards.

I will admit I was pleasantly surprised that my cards show 2004 as my Member Since Date, but I guess that's typical.

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 20K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 9 of 24
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@Samster12 wrote:

If you wish it was correct, I'd just contact them for a replacement. My Hilton Honors card came without my member number on it, so I requested a replacement card with it correcly on. Easy peasy.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.