Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Does Not Combine Cards

tag
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Capital One Does Not Combine Cards

Called the C1 rep today hoping to merge my two now Quicksilver cards. One is a bucket  MC with a $2600 CL. The other is a $5900 CL Visa. According to the rep, C1 at this time doesn't combine cards. $8500 CL would have been better.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Does Not Combine Cards

@CorpCrMgr1 wrote:

Called the C1 rep today hoping to merge my two now Quicksilver cards. One is a bucket  MC with a $2600 CL. The other is a $5900 CL Visa. According to the rep, C1 at this time doesn't combine cards. $8500 CL would have been better.

That's not consistent with a few recent posts.  Did you have the transfer limits option listed on the website?  When you say merge, you mean move all the limit to one, and close the other?  Perhaps merging is not allowed but transfering some CL is?  Maybe try to transfer as much CL as you can, and then manually close the other?  Plus we all know you can't always take what one rep says as fact.  Good luck!  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 2 of 10
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Not all cards might be allowed to reallocate.

I realllocated $6000 from my Savor MC to my QS Visa like three days ago, did you try to reallocate online?

Here is a link to some faqs:

Increase Credit Limit | Credit Line Increase FAQ | Capital One 

Message 3 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I think this is similar to Cap1's CLI policy -- some cards are elligible whilst others are bucketed and generally are not. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 10
Rogue46
Established Contributor

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

Not all cards might be allowed to reallocate.

I realllocated $6000 from my Savor MC to my QS Visa like three days ago, did you try to reallocate online?

Here is a link to some faqs:

Increase Credit Limit | Credit Line Increase FAQ | Capital One 

Same here, Moved $8100 from my Venture to the Savor card and closed the Venture. I had to leave $500 on the donor card but oh well

Message 5 of 10
ficosuave
Contributor

I think, like so many things with Capital One, it varies from one cardholder to the next. I don't have the option on my account (10yr old Quicksilver + 3yr old SavorOne), but obviously many others do according to the longer reallocation thread.

Message 6 of 10
Traveler101
Established Contributor

Have you checked in settings? Sometimes csr's are misinformed. I found it in my cards but had to search for it.

Message 7 of 10
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@pizzadudelast August they let me move $1800 from a bucketed QS (took it from $3500 to $2300) to an also bucketed SavorOne (took it from $3300to $4500). Granted these two cards may not be in the lowest of buckets as they started at $2000 and $3000 SL, but I do think they are still limited in growth.

@CorpCrMgr1They won't let you combine 2 cards into one (that's long gone), but some of us have been able to reallocate part of if not most of our credit limit from one card to the other.  It's a YMMV situation and can be done via the desktop site if they let you (haven't seen it on the app).  When I click on "I want to..." with the settings wheel icon, in the pop up menu under Offers and Upgrades there's an option for "Transfer Credit Line to Venture X" (or whichever card I'm looking at, it shows for my QS and S1 also).

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
April 2024 FICO 8:
April 2024 FICO 9:
Message 8 of 10
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

I first tried online and the AI stated it didn't understand and finally gave me a number, 877-383-4802, to call. The rep said it couldn't be done. He did not offer me a means to allocate some.

I believed I've seen postings of CC being merged. I thought that would work for me. Unfortunately, it didn't. I agree that the next rep might know a bit more or be willing to take the requested steps. I'll try again.  

Thank you everyone who posted.

Message 9 of 10
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Thank you everyone. On another post that was resurrected, I found the information needed. Now moved most  of my CLI from one CC to the bucket card.  

Now should I let the non bucket CC expire?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.