Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU vs PENFED OVERALL?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DCU vs PENFED OVERALL?

I know PENFED is pretty strict on their cards and loan products, 720+ score usually needed. How does DCU compare? Are they more lenient or about the same for their cards and loans? DCU seems to have similar products but i havent seen anything about their 

requirements or success stories.

10 REPLIES 10
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Re: DCU vs PENFED OVERALL?

@Anonymous wrote:

I know PENFED is pretty strict on their cards and loan products, 720+ score usually needed. How does DCU compare? Are they more lenient or about the same for their cards and loans? DCU seems to have similar products but i havent seen anything about their 

requirements or success stories.

are you talking about their score requirements for a card? or membership? Many of us have gotten into DCU with blemishes that PenFed would not accept. 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am talking about card and loan qualification. Not general membership guidelines.

Message 3 of 11
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am talking about card and loan qualification. Not general membership guidelines.

gotcha. I believe they are open to scores in the mid 600's for credit and loan products. 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, thanks. That is way more lenient than PENFED.

Message 5 of 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

gotcha. I believe they are open to scores in the mid 600's for credit and loan products. 

Keep in mind, DCU uses FICO EQ5 (mortgage) while PenFed uses EQ FICO 9.   

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 11
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

you don't have a military connection for nfcu?  just asking because they are far better than either of these cu's imo.  penfed is known for car loans and as there is an asset in play I have never heard of them needing poi.  I would never choose them for banking as there portal is weak.  dcu has a slick portal and are pretty modern all around.  mobile deposits are instantly approved based on my experience no matter the size.  for cards they like poi but sometimes one can get an inline offer when applying so dcu would be the one i would choose if the choice was them or penfed.  friendly customer service.  is so profile dependent that its hard to recommend anybody sometimes.  I have a substantial amount on deposit with chase but they often wait until overnight before releasing funds and this is after 4 decades.  dcu's interface and instant deposit has me hooked but that is just me.  I have a car loan with penfed and I would only use them for that.  I have a penfed cash back card with a $32K limit that has not been used for almost 2 years, they are not even awake enough to close it lol.  I like dcu

Message 7 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

you don't have a military connection for nfcu?  just asking because they are far better than either of these cu's imo.  penfed is known for car loans and as there is an asset in play I have never heard of them needing poi.  I would never choose them for banking as there portal is weak.  dcu has a slick portal and are pretty modern all around.  mobile deposits are instantly approved based on my experience no matter the size.  for cards they like poi but sometimes one can get an inline offer when applying so dcu would be the one i would choose if the choice was them or penfed.  friendly customer service.  is so profile dependent that its hard to recommend anybody sometimes.  I have a substantial amount on deposit with chase but they often wait until overnight before releasing funds and this is after 4 decades.  dcu's interface and instant deposit has me hooked but that is just me.  I have a car loan with penfed and I would only use them for that.  I have a penfed cash back card with a $32K limit that has not been used for almost 2 years, they are not even awake enough to close it lol.  I like dcu

Lol @bourgogne  aa much as i dont like PF , at least the PCR  rewards post fast and can easily be deposited into ones checking. I just joined DCU but for the love of fico i cant even sign in to online banking yet. So far experience isnt pleasing. 

Message 8 of 11
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

Lol @bourgogne  aa much as i dont like PF , at least the PCR  rewards post fast and can easily be deposited into ones checking. I just joined DCU but for the love of fico i cant even sign in to online banking yet. So far experience isnt pleasing. 

PISSED! for the love of fico!!! lol - I just sprayed my newly created cocktail all over my laptop. ok here we go, 1oz of sweet vermouth, 2oz of buffalo trace or any bourbon and top off the glass with topo chico mineral water no ice - talk about refreshing ..  so I dont even know what pcr rewards are, do I have them?  ha-ha .. I seem to remember a rough start to dcu, what's the issue? 

Message 9 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@bourgogne wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

PISSED! for the love of fico!!! lol - I just sprayed my newly created cocktail all over my laptop. ok here we go, 1oz of sweet vermouth, 2oz of buffalo trace or any bourbon and top off the glass with topo chico mineral water no ice - talk about refreshing ..  so I dont even know what pcr rewards are, do I have them?  ha-ha .. I seem to remember a rough start to dcu, what's the issue? 

Basically i cant sign in to online banking. Have my member number and pin but neither work. Rep tried yesterday to send temp password and it didnt work either. Was on list to be called back tonight, that was about 2 and half hours agoSmiley Wink. Seems a simple thing to be able to create an account, ie password to access ones account but apparently not. Got email today saying they tried to call me but i never got a call. Just a weird experience. 

As for the PCR, being a 2% cash back, if you are ex military or have $500 parked in their checking,  as you use the card, the rewards show up pretty fast and really easy to deposit. If you start using yours lol, you might be suprisedSmiley Wink

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.