Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied BoA Product Change Requests

tag
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

Denied BoA Product Change Requests

I'm not too familiar with BoA's product change policy but I have been thinking to pc my Unlimited Rewards to a CC and the Travel Rewards to Premium Rewards. I've had both cards just over 12 months. I just recently got a new card with them last month. Well, I called customer service today to ask but unfortunately, neither account was eligible for any pc's.

Does anyone know when BoA will typically allow product changes? I guess YMMV.

Just curious of other's experiences with them pc'ng current cards.

I'm not sure if this has any influence on it but I have a balance on two of their cards. Those are my only balances for any of my credit cards. 

Thank You

Avoided credit cards after ruining my financial health but got back into the game in 2019 after a 20 year hiatus
Total Revolving CL- $205, 500 | Order of Opened Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue- SL-$1K | CL- $22.6K
(pc'd from SkyMiles Platinum back to Blue)
Delta SkyMiles Reserve- SL- $10K | CL- $20K
Chase Sapphire Reserve- SL $20K | CL- $39K
Cap 1 Venture Rewards- SL $10K | CL $ 20.5K
Amex Everyday Preferred- SL $13.1K | CL $10K ( moved some limits around )
Chase Freedom Unlimited: SL $23.4K| CL $36.8K
BOA Unlimited Cash SL: $20.8K| CL $10.8K(moved some limits around)
BOA Travel Rewards SL: $20.8K | CL $5.8K(moved some limits around)
Amex Blue Cash Everyday SL: $10K
Amex Green Card: NPSL / POT: 17K
BOA BankAmericard: SL: $5K | CL: $30K
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Denied BoA Product Change Requests

BoA does have a matrix of allowable product changes but there is an element of YMMV as to whether or not a specific cardholder will be allowed to make a desired PC.   To give an example when the BoA/MLB agreement expired and BoA converted the portfolio many but not all cardholders who were autoconverted to Unlimited Rewards cards were able to call and instead receive a Customized Cash Rewards card; some who tried were told that for them it wasn't going to be an option.    

Having an opinion as to why you were denied would be speculative but I don't think that having balances on the cards would have been the root cause.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 23
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

BoA does have a matrix of allowable product changes but there is an element of YMMV as to whether or not a specific cardholder will be allowed to make a desired PC.   To give an example when the BoA/MLB agreement expired and BoA converted the portfolio many but not all cardholders who were autoconverted to Unlimited Rewards cards were able to call and instead receive a Customized Cash Rewards card; some who tried were told that for them it wasn't going to be an option.    

Having an opinion as to why you were denied would be speculative but I don't think that having balances on the cards would have been the root cause.

@coldfusion Thank you for for the detailed response. I really appreciate and learned a few new things as well. I'll just periodically call in every once and a while a perhaps, I may have luck. Not looking to outright apply for any more new cards from them in the near future. 

Avoided credit cards after ruining my financial health but got back into the game in 2019 after a 20 year hiatus
Message 3 of 23
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Having a balance on a card doesn't prevent a product change. In my case I've product changed from an alaska air card to the bofa custom cash card and they just moved the unpaid balance to the new card

also, you do realize a product change means you forgo the sign up bonus like if possible the signup bonus for the bofa premium card is worthwhile 

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 4 of 23
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

@Hoben02 wrote:

Having a balance on a card doesn't prevent a product change. In my case I've product changed from an alaska air card to the bofa custom cash card and they just moved the unpaid balance to the new card

also, you do realize a product change means you forgo the sign up bonus like if possible the signup bonus for the bofa premium card is worthwhile 

Yeah, I know I could be missing out on a decent SUB for the Premium. I honestly wanted to pc to customized cash more than anything. 

Message 5 of 23
Aim_High
Super Contributor

The age of accounts and your overall banking/credit relationship might also be a factor, @nytokyobred79 . BofA is very relationship-focused. But @coldfusion is spot-on about how results may vary more than some other lender's policies. 

It doesn't sound like you tried to cross the cash-points barrier but I thought I'd mention for other readers on this topic that one rep told me they don't PC between points cards (Premium Rewards/Elite; Travel Rewards) and cash cards (Unlimited Cash Rewards; Customized Cash Rewards).

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 6 of 23
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

The age of accounts and your overall banking/credit relationship might also be a factor, @nytokyobred79 . BofA is very relationship-focused. But @coldfusion is spot-on about how results may vary more than some other lender's policies. 

It doesn't sound like you tried to cross the cash-points barrier but I thought I'd mention for other readers on this topic that one rep told me they don't PC between points cards (Premium Rewards/Elite; Travel Rewards) and cash cards (Unlimited Cash Rewards; Customized Cash Rewards).

Thank you for the additional comments. I did think that perhaps since I've only had the UR and TR cards for just over 12 months and the BankAmericard card for 1 month, I may need to let things cool for a bit. No baddies and have been able to get 3 cards with them in under 12 months so I'll continue to nurture the relationship. I'm just thinking about doing some needed pc'ng of my card lineup bc I never really gave ample thought when I started to get new cards again.

PS- thanks for the point about trying to pc between point cards/ cash cards. That was just an assumption so I never even tried that route on the call based on my experience with other lenders.

Message 7 of 23
ficosuave
Contributor

I've had luck PC'ing BofA cards in the past, but the general rule of thumb with them has been that it's all about the rep you get. It's usually been suggested that if you get denied a request, when you otherwise ought to be eligible, call back some other time and try your luck again.

Message 8 of 23
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

@ficosuave wrote:

I've had luck PC'ing BofA cards in the past, but the general rule of thumb with them has been that it's all about the rep you get. It's usually been suggested that if you get denied a request, when you otherwise ought to be eligible, call back some other time and try your luck again.

Very good point. I think I may call back again in March. By then, my UR and TR cards will be 13 months old. And hopefully, I'll get a rep willing to handle the pc for me. 

Message 9 of 23
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@ficosuave wrote:

I've had luck PC'ing BofA cards in the past, but the general rule of thumb with them has been that it's all about the rep you get.

Not quite, HUCA can address an ill-informed or lazy CSR but BoA's internal systems manage current eligibility status at the account level. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.