Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rakuten Visa To Be Replaced with 2% Synch Premier WMC

tag
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Rakuten Visa To Be Replaced with 2% Synch Premier WMC

When did this happen and will it disappear altogether?

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 6.10.29 PM.png

Message 1 of 93
92 REPLIES 92
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rakuten Visa no longer available to new apps??

Its still on the Rakuten main page. I suspect an internal problem with Synch or an imminent transfer to another lender, the reach of this card is large I dont see it going away unless Rakuten is BK.

Message 2 of 93
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

More info here as well. Hoping DoC will get confirmation one way or another if this is permanent or not

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rakuten-visa-card-no-longer-accepting-applications/

Message 3 of 93
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Its still on the Rakuten main page. I suspect an internal problem with Synch or an imminent transfer to another lender, the reach of this card is large I dont see it going away unless Rakuten is BK.

I SO hope you are right......I make more MR on this card then all my AMEXes put together.....LOL

Message 4 of 93
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I definitely hope there's no plan to discontinue it.  While I don't earn anywhere near as many MRs from the card as from other sources (charge cards and the Rakuten portal itself, where I've earned nearly 400k MRs since signing up for eBates a few years ago when they launched the MRs-instead-of-cash option), this has been a fantastic 3X earner (roughly 6%) for online shopping as well as it being nice to be able to earn MRs on a Visa Signature card (not even issued by Amex) when Amex isn't an option.

Message 5 of 93
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Wife finally pulled the trigger on this in May so A) good timing B) hope it isn't going anywhere. 😎😭

Message 6 of 93
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

I'm unfortunately the bearer of bad news. I chatted with two different reps online tonight and they both corroborated the below:

• No longer accepting new applications (duh we saw this online)
  • Current cardholders "Last date that we can make purchases will be 09/17/22 and all accounts will be closed shortly after".
  • Current cardholders are NOT being transferred to another financial institution.
  • The credit program will be discontinued and cardholders will not be transferred as that's not an option

Both apologized and thanked me for being a member for so long. 'Twas a good run folks!!!

@K-in-Boston I know you particularly liked this card, my deepest condolences lol.

Message 7 of 93
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

More info here as well. Hoping DoC will get confirmation one way or another if this is permanent or not

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rakuten-visa-card-no-longer-accepting-applications/

See my post above/below, I'm sure others can chat support and ask for "trust but verification" but the two different reps I spoke to both put me on a 2-3 min chat hold and came back with exactly the same message.

Message 8 of 93
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

wow0.png

Very surprised to see this. Smiley Surprised

Potential Future Cards
Message 9 of 93
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Another commenter there pasted a cached Bing entry from the Rakuten side that appears to have a FAQ, and mentions emails going out today and letters next week:

"You received an email from Synchrony Bank on 7/27/22, and will receive a letter in the mail the week of 8/1/22 with full details about the end of the Credit Card Program."

Mine just turned 2 last month.  It was a good ride while it lasted.  Hopefully they'll find another partner and introduce an equivalent or better card soon.  I guess the silver lining on this one might be since it has been subject to notoriously difficult underwriting for "credit enthusiasts," the impact of losing the credit line may not have the same negative consequences as other Synchrony closings in the past for as many cardholders.

Message 10 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.