Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*updated* truist & BBT - previously IIB

tag
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

*updated* truist & BBT - previously IIB

im getting offers that i prequalify for truist 3-2-1 credit card.   from what i undertand truist is a merger of BBT and suntrust bank.

back in the early 90's when i was young stupid and knew everything i messed up with my local no name bank.  my account went into collections with them for about $600.  that bank was bought by BBT not long after that. i did file bk7 shortly after. BBT was IIB for the prior bank account.    in 2008 after i got my act together i moved & needed a bank, BBT was just down the street.  i opened an account, all was well and good but that old account from the no name bank from 1993 came back and BBT seized over 2k in initial deposits.  they apparently didnt get the bk7 memo.   they were made to give back my money and they closed my accounts after 3 days.

here we are 14 years later and im getting tempting offers from truist.  given my ancient history with BBT, how solid are the truist offers?   is  BBT just using a name change, or is BBT no longer in business?   

its tempting to give them a try but not sure how the BBT thing will come back to bite me after all these years.  

thoughts???

*****update*****

after close to 30yrs since first default (bk7) against BBT for $600,   they have found me worthy enough for a 2nd chance.  in 2008 they still held that grudge.  im glad i have been forgivin.  if only amex could be as forgiving :-)

truist.jpg

fico scores - March 2024:
TU - 727 | EX - 732 | EQ - 736 |
TCL - 168K - UTIL - less than 1%
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: truist & BBT - previously IIB

They keep internal records and would be able to see if you had a negative prior relationship. Truist is the merger of both institutions, but the merger doesn't mean they erase all previous records.  The only way to find out or learn if you are still on any blacklist is if/when you apply. 

Message 2 of 5
bigseegar
Established Contributor

Living here in the heart of where BB&T is headquartered and started and being very well versed with them for them past 40 years. I can assure you it's simply BB&T acquiring Suntrust and changing the institution's name. In other word it says Truist but it's still BB&T for all intents and purposes and yes they have a long memory.

Message 3 of 5
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

JcT21, 

I burned BB&T when I declared chapter 7 bankruptcy.  They let me back in with open arms.  I have 3 cards all from the preapproval app.  I didn't have a single HP.

Hope this helps.

Guyatthebeach

Message 4 of 5
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

They keep internal records and would be able to see if you had a negative prior relationship. Truist is the merger of both institutions, but the merger doesn't mean they erase all previous records.  The only way to find out or learn if you are still on any blacklist is if/when you apply. 

looks like im no longer blacklisted :-)

fico scores - March 2024:
TU - 727 | EX - 732 | EQ - 736 |
TCL - 168K - UTIL - less than 1%
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.