cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 new accounts, do I dare do a fourth or wait a year....

tag
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

3 new accounts, do I dare do a fourth or wait a year....

So I recently open a SSL, and two cards. Only one of those (the PayPal Mastercard literally showed up a day of 2 later) is showing up on my report yet ....and 2 inquiries, one on EX and one on TU (my only inquires). I was going to wait a 6 months to a year and then app for the US bank Cash + because we need a card for utilities cash back. I've never opened multiple cards at once and am already affriad how this will effect my score which is in the 760s. Before this month, the last account was opened in 2.3 years ago. My average age of accounts is 4.5 years. With most my accounts being opened at the start of 2018 and 2019. I have 7 open accounts and 1 closed loan.

As far as hurt to my score, and the ability to get the highest limit with US Bank...should I do it now and app before the other 2 accounts appear? Or do I wait 6 months to a year...apply with the new accounts an possibly lower score? 

How much damage would opening 4 accounts at once do? Would it scare my other lenders (Amex, BofA, Navy, Disco and just recently for the PayPal Card Sync will be in the mix)? Do any of these banks care if you open four new accounts at once? I plan to close one of my 2 Amex cards (the everyday) next month as I don't use it much and don't like the rewards. Am I going too crazy here? 

What tyoe of score drop should I expect opening 3 new accounts vs 4 (1 of them a SSL). 30-40 pts? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: 3 new accounts, do I dare do a fourth or wait a year....

Its always best to spread things out so you dont look like your in seeking mode. Give it 6 months and let things rebound. Rome wasnt built in a day.

Message 2 of 6
GZG
Valued Contributor

I doubt you'll get any AA for opening another account

I just think you won't get approved for US Bank without waiting, I'd wait out a year if US bank is the next card on your list 

you have any other US bank products? 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 3 of 6
butterpecan
Frequent Contributor

@Bees18 wrote:

So I recently open a SSL, and two cards. Only one of those (the PayPal Mastercard literally showed up a day of 2 later) is showing up on my report yet ....and 2 inquiries, one on EX and one on TU (my only inquires). I was going to wait a 6 months to a year and then app for the US bank Cash + because we need a card for utilities cash back. I've never opened multiple cards at once and am already affriad how this will effect my score which is in the 760s. Before this month, the last account was opened in 2.3 years ago. My average age of accounts is 4.5 years. With most my accounts being opened at the start of 2018 and 2019. I have 7 open accounts and 1 closed loan.

As far as hurt to my score, and the ability to get the highest limit with US Bank...should I do it now and app before the other 2 accounts appear? Or do I wait 6 months to a year...apply with the new accounts an possibly lower score? 

How much damage would opening 4 accounts at once do? Would it scare my other lenders (Amex, BofA, Navy, Disco and just recently for the PayPal Card Sync will be in the mix)? Do any of these banks care if you open four new accounts at once? I plan to close one of my 2 Amex cards (the everyday) next month as I don't use it much and don't like the rewards. Am I going too crazy here? 

What tyoe of score drop should I expect opening 3 new accounts vs 4 (1 of them a SSL). 30-40 pts? 

@Bees18 When I opened my PayPal Credit it showed up on my TU report 48 hours later just last month. Just sharing my experience with them is similar. I'm not much help about opening the accounts at once but good luck, others here can help you with that. 

Message 4 of 6
Beefy1212
Established Contributor

@butterpecan wrote:

@Bees18 wrote:

@Bees18 When I opened my PayPal Credit it showed up on my TU report 48 hours later just last month. Just sharing my experience with them is similar. I'm not much help about opening the accounts at once but good luck, others here can help you with that. 

Sync always reports right away.

Message 5 of 6
butterpecan
Frequent Contributor

@Beefy1212 I see that, I will always be conscious of that from now on LOL.... thanks. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.